The Other Guy

Bucky is in love with you, but he doesn't realize it until it's too late. Or maybe there's still time?

Based on the song 'The Other Guy' by Jesse McCartney

~

He watched her as she walked out the door. She turned one last time, waved with that little smile on her face, and closed the door behind her.

He fell down on his bed, his hands brushing his face. What was he doing, for God's sake?

He knew she didn't love him anymore. That is, if she had ever loved him. He wasn't sure, and he really didn't want to think about it. It would only end in more pain, and that was something he wasn't up for at this moment.

The very moment he realised he loved her, it was already too late.

No. That wasn't true.

He knew he was in love with her a long time ago, but he didn't want to make a move. Who said she felt the same way? There was a very big chance that she didn't. He didn't want to mess with their friendship. She was like a comfortable beacon in the storm that was his life, she didn't judge him for his past, she never had and she never would. While he still needed to prove himself and his good intentions to others every day, she was always there for him to help him trough. She was probably his best friend.

Well, next to Steve, who still stood up for him like Bucky had stood up for Steve all those years ago.

He remembered the day he realised he was in love with the girl as if it was yesterday. It was, actually.

It was as if his heart was ripped out of his chest, and not in a good way. Definitely not in the way everyone had always told him, like he would finally find a purpose, or something clingy like that.

It was his own, stupid fault, and he knew that.

Because two weeks ago, she had kissed him. They were sitting in his room like they always did while talking and suddenly, she kissed him. Of course he had felt that spark of chemistry between them, but he hadn't realised she felt it, too. And then the moment was over, she looked at him expectantly and he, stupid bastard that he was, did nothing. He told her he needed to be somewhere. She left.

The two following weeks, he was too scared to make a move on her. She still came to his room to talk, but there was always that same tension in the room since that day.

He hated it. He hated himself for not doing anything.

And then, two weeks later, he saw her kissing with his best friend. He felt the rage boiling in his veins, but he knew it was too late. He had let his chance slip through his fingers.

The day he realised he was hers, was the same day he lost her.

"Bucky?"

The door of his room opened. She stood there, still with a smile on her face. He couldn't help but smile back at her. She never stopped having that effect on him.

"Lost something, Y/N?"

"Actually, yes." She looked around the room. "My jacket has to be somewhere ... here." She picked up her jacket with a triumphant smile on her face.