Chapter Five

Mackenzie's POV

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.....

"Holy chiz, shut up!" I groaned as I grabbed my phone and pressed on the turn off button.

"God, I don't wanna go to school." I mumbled as I got out of my comfortable bed.

I yawned and stretched my arms while walking to my bathroom. I looked in the mirror; yeah, I looked terrible.

I quickly washed my face and grabbed my clothes I had picked out the night before. I changed into a mint green tee shirt, black skinny jeans, and mint green vans. I applied a bit of makeup and threw my hair into a messy bun.

I ran downstairs to the smell of pancakes; my favorite.

"Good morning." My dad smiled.

"Morning." I replied as I plopped down on a seat.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes before Bri and my mom walked downstairs.

"There's my other two favorite gals." Dad grinned.

"Hey." Bri said as she sat down next to me. Sleep deprived her; she was wide awake, anxious even.

"Good morning, Steven." Mom kissed his cheek.

"H-Hoooooooow-" I yawned, "How are you not tired?" I glanced at Bri who was staring at the pancakes in front of her. I looked in front of me and I found a pancake and a glass of water. Weird.

"Well, it's kind of the first day of high school! I'm so excited. How are you not?" She smiled. I took a few bites out of my pancake until it was finished.

"Because, it's the first day of high school!" I rolled my eyes.

"And Fin said he was meeting me after school to take me to get ice cream." Her eyes glowed with excitement.

"Cool. Well, have fun." I said as I drank all of my water and got out of my seat, "I'll see you at school, okay? I'm going to walk." I stated.

"Oh, okay, that's fine. I'll see you there."

"Better hurry up though, we have to be twenty minutes early, at least, to get our schedules. Okay?"

"Alright." She grinned.

I grabbed my backpack and headed out the door. I checked my phone but found no messages from Logan.

I continued to walk for about fifteen more minutes until I finally came across Franklin Regional Senior High School. I immediately stopped as I reached the front building. I bit my lip to keep from crying but I don't think I can hold it in.

Across the front building is a poster that says:

IN MEMORY OF MADISON ZIEGLER; MAY SHE REST IN PEACE.

With her Freshman and Sophomore school pictures on it.

I can't do it. I can't do this. My chest hurts. The tears are uncontrollable now. People walk by, un-noticing my soon to be full break down. What's wrong with me? Why did I do this to her? It's my fault, my fault! If I would have been a better sister.... My breathing is slowing. The world is spinning. Suddenly, I'm on my knees. Suddenly, I'm lying down.

"Mackenzie? Wha-wha-the-th-hell-" Logan's words mixed into my head.

Logan? Logan? "Logan?"

"Mackenzie, calm down. Please, I don't want to go through this again!"

"M-Ma-Ma-M-Maddie." I choked.

"K-K-Ke-Kenzie-" His words slowed as his face started to fade away.