Chapter 6: Broken Queen

Every breath I took was sharp and enveloped by pain as the growing darkness etched closer to my beating heart. Letting out a muffled scream, I began to cry as my vision blurred and my consciousness began to fade. In the distance, I could hear crying and shouting as though past the cold horrible darkness was someone trying to reach out to me. Bolting up, I took quick shaky breathes as sweat beaded my forehead and a terrifying pain wrapped itself around my chest.

Drawing in deep calming breaths, I clenched my chest tightly as a sudden coughing fit took over and the throbbing pain grew. Taking a quick moment, I urged myself out of bed and over to my wardrobe as I undressed before slipping into clean clothes. Finishing up my remaining morning duties, I made my way to the kitchen where I found a note that read, "Dear Angel, I'll be gone most of the day so make sure you take your medicine and get something to eat. We'll be leaving as soon as I get home and don't worry about clothes I've got that handled. Love you lots big brother."

Smiling softly at brothers note, I forgot the subtle pain as I took my pills and munched on a fresh green apple from the basket cheerfully. The pills were making fast work as the pain began to subside leaving me better than before. Soon the pills won't work anymore, they'll leave me in constant pain and torment until finally, I disappear. Reminding myself of these facts, I thought about brother and what he would go through as time moved on. He doesn't have many friends do to his business but, he has Dice and everyone else at the casino to help him through trialing times when I cannot. Letting out a shaky breath, I pushed through the threatening tears and smiled happily knowing that brother won't ever be alone even when I'm gone.

Coming to this new conclusion, I skipped happily to my art room as a deep depressing feeling hid itself and I became ignorant of its existence. As hours went by, I found myself lost within the paint strokes and hypnotized by my creation as I finally finished, "The King." Stretching with pure satisfaction, I began to pick up my paint and set my supplies back into the suitcase before noting the low supplies.

"Angel I'm back." A sudden voice echoed, as brother leaned over my shoulder and took a deep long look at my finished work.

"Welcome back!" I cheered, seeing his eyes dart from the painting to me and back.

"You did an amazing job Angel as usual." Brother smirked as a faint blush appeared on my face.

"Thank you brother, did you get everything done?" I implored, as he stood up straight and I turned to look at him.

"Yes everything is done plus more, in-fact you best get ready soon, we'll be leaving in an hour or two." Brother announced, as he looked me up and down seeing paint on my face and hands. Taking a quick glance at myself as well, I blushed harder and tried to cover up my face out of embarrassment.

"Don't worry Angel just go clean up, when you're done there'll be a surprise waiting for you." Brother smirked, as he rested his hand on my head and patted me gently. Nodding my head, I hurried to my bathroom where a warm bath awaited me as I began to strip and slid into the tub. A sense of comfort and ease washed over me as the soothing warm water covered my body and I sighed deeply in response.

Grabbing a blue loofah off the rim of the tub, I put some fragrant soap on it and softly washed my cheek where the purple paint spot was as it came off within a few seconds. Satisfied with my newly cleaned face, I continued to wash my body further as the scent of roses overwhelmed my nostrils. Once I was clean from head to toe, I sunk deeper into the water until it kissed my nose gently and rubbed against my lips.

After an hour or so, I finally decided to climb out of the tub as I grabbed a nearby towel and wrapped it around my body quickly. Pulling the plug, I watched briefly as the water swirled down into the mysterious drain before peeking my head out from the bathroom and quickly retreating to my bedroom. Letting out a sigh of relief, I wondered over to my bed to see a bag as big as me sprawled out over the bed sheets.