Chapter 9: Hidden Cards

A gentle breeze caresses my cheek whispering in my ear as the warmth of the sun and the beauty of the blue sky envelop me within a lush garden. Taking a deep breath I listened closely to the ruffling leaves and grass as the scent of roses and other fragrant flowers danced around me. Enjoying the wonderful morning, I smiled brightly letting out a quiet sigh as I put one foot in front of the other and began to run. Feeling a strong presence flow through my body, I leaped into the sky as the sound of beating wings filled my ears and the once gentle breeze pushed me farther into the sky. Unable to contain myself, I laughed with great joy as my wings carried me through the skies many clouds with great speed and grace.

Landing softly on a nearby cloud, I looked down my breath taken away by the magnificent view as I looked over my homes vast terrain and noticed a figure standing alone below me. Looking closely I could tell it was my brother as he stretched his arms up and opened his mouth to let out a yawn. Hopping off the cloud, I began my descent as I drifted down until I landed softly in front of him my wings vanishing into a mist of light once my feet met the ground.

"Good morning brother!" I smiled, holding my hands behind my back as I stood up straight our eyes meeting. 

"Good morning Angel." Brother smiled, as he scratched his head briefly. "When did you get up?" He asked, his tail whipping about as he shielded his eyes from the brilliant sun.

"Not too long ago, just early enough to enjoy the weather." I replied, glimpsing up to the sky momentarily.

"I'm glad to see your happy it's been a while since you've smiled like that." He sighed, a slight tone of irritation in his caring voice. It's been a few months now since Dice and I confessed to one another and since then I've noticed my brothers distaste for Dice grow with each passing day though he tries to hide it from me.

"I know, but it helps to see your smile too!" I grinned, trying my best to lighten the mood as I tilted my head just a bit. Taken by my words brother smiled softly as he rested his hand on my head and let out a soft sigh.

"We should get going, I've got a lot of paperwork yet." He recalled, letting his arm fall to his side as I nodded my head and grabbed my satchel from the porch chair that sat beside the door.

"I have to make some errands first, I'll see you later." I giggled lightly, opening the door as I held it for brother and we both made our way to inkwell. Finding ourselves in front of the casino, I waved goodbye to my brother as I made my way to the third district. Reaching the train tracks, I waited patiently as the train zipped by the sound of sharp whistles piercing the air and a brief hello from the conductor as he waved at me before I did the same.

Crossing the tracks, I popped open my satchel as I slipped out a piece of paper and ran my eyes over it.

"This map is confusing, from what I can tell it's most likely to be in the first district." I sighed, looking back at the chicken scratch drawn out on the paper. Lifting my head up I peered down at the bustling town below me as all sorts of people roamed the streets.

"If I go on foot it'll take all day, best take to the sky." I concluded, tucking the paper away as the strong presence once more flowed throughout my body and I took off with a running start before leaping into the air saying farewell to the land beneath my feet. Gaining quite a bit of altitude, I looked down to see I was higher than I anticipated as I coasted over the frantic town admiring the view of the glistening sea just beyond the docks.

Everything looks so small from up here it feels like only yesterday I was knocking on death's door but here I am with brother and Dice. I cherish them both with all my being but ever since I told my brother about my relationship with Dice he's been holding a silent grudge towards him I  pretend like I don't know it but soon enough this mask will break. Letting out a sigh I peered down seeing the wondrous carnival below covered with attractions and tents of all sorts.