Dear Samantha

Hello, Samantha,

It's me, Joshua. I can assure you I'm doing well off, completely fine. I am alive and well — I have just been under the radar for awhile. I've kind of wanted to lower my profile since the accident with the twins and what happened a few months ago. I'm trying to forget all about it if I'm being honest. Although being with the group again may bring back terrible memories and create an awkward feeling in the air, I will try my best to come to Long Beach.

For you. I will only be doing this for you, Sam because even though I'm sure Chris is still my best friend in his eyes and in mine, I feel like we will be... different. Everything will be different when I arrive in Long Beach because nobody will have seen me for months and thought me to be dead. Everyone will look at me in a way in which I don't want attention. I don't want to be the center of attention right now, despite me always trying to get that attention. That was high school and college Joshua Washington.

I am a changed man now. I am doing a lot of therapy to help me cope, thanks to your letters and to your advice early on a few months ago. I've found I'm much happier than I have been in the past three years altogether and it's really giving me hope that change is still possible. That I can get better. All thanks to you.

You've stuck by my side since the beginning, Samantha. When you became friends with Hannah and Beth... you've always been there for me. I guess this isn't only payback, but a reward and my duty to do as you've helped me countless times in my past.

This is how I can repay you!

I mean this Sam. Helping me had to be a struggle for you, maybe even a responsibility, and coming to see you after all these months of thinking me dead I have to come out of the shadows to see everyone again, no matter how the trip may turn out. Seeing you, Chris, Ashley, Matt... Even Mike, Jess, and Emily will make me feel better; whole again. All of us back together and happier than ever should be a good dose of revenge on me for what I put you all through that night.

Sure, Hannah and Beth won't be with us, but they're always in our memory. They have always been in our memory and in our thoughts... And Sam? You've been in them too. My mind, I mean.

But in other words, I hope to see you soon.

Love,
Joshua Washington