Chapter 43

Our Little Secret...
Chapter 43

(Corbyns POV)
I shook my head and started screaming.
C- NO! NO! NOOOOOOOO!
That was when Matthew grabbed her around the neck and lifted her body from the ground, her legs frantically kicking.
C- STOP!
I screamed. I knew what was going to happen to her. I began pulling my hands apart, the rope cutting into my skin.
M- How nice of you to turn up.
He whispered into her ear.
K- Get.... off!
She said, gritting her teeth.
M- I knew you wouldn't be able to resist saving your precious boyfriend.
K- He's.... not....my...b—boyfriend.
She said, struggling to breathe.
I could see her face start to loose colour.
Matthew flicked a switch and a churning sound filled the garage. The roller door squeaked and began automatically rolling down. I looked outside to where the car was. Jonah and Emma were running towards us, the door getting smaller and smaller.
Jo- KAYLA!
Jonah screamed, but it was too late.
K- Help.
She whispered, Matthews arm pushing against her neck.
The garage fell into complete darkness as the only light source was gone. I heard the thud of something crashing into the roller door, probably Jonah. I'm guessing the garage was sound proof because I couldn't hear anything from the outside. I watched as Matthew dragged Kayla towards the contraption, tears in my eyes. I kept screaming at him until I choked on my own tears, making me cough into the gag. I noticed Kayla's hands were trying to get to her side, but Matthew kept them above her head as he lowered one of the ropes down from the top of the cube. I scanned her body, looking for the thing she was trying to grab. With Matthew focused on lowering one of the ropes, Kayla broke one of her hands free reaching for the top of her pants. Before she could get a hold on whatever she needed, Matthew grabbed her arm again, ripping it above her head, making her shirt lift a little. That was when I saw it.
My way to save us both.
The shine of her gun caught my eye.
I stopped yelling, took a breath, and tried to slow down my rapid heart rate that was throbbing in my head. My eyes focused on Kayla, the fear on her face made my heart sink.
Once the rope had fully lowered down to Kayla's height, Matthew looped in over her hands, tying them together with a tight knot.
He had released his hands from around her neck and she gasped for air, coughing a few times before speaking.
K- You sick son of a bitch.
She spat.
M- Now now, let's not throw around words like that, I'm doing what's necessary. You spies need to learn to back off and stay out of things.
K- I'm not a spy you idiot.
Matthew began to laugh.
M- Stop lying, I've already told him everything. It's not your little secret anymore.
Kayla looked into my eyes and I lowered my head. I was disappointed. She lied to me and now she's lying even more to cover herself.
K- Corbyn, I swear, I'm not—
M- Oh would you look at the time.
Matthew interrupted, not even looking at a clock or watch.
He flicked a switch against the back wall and another churning sound echoed through the garage. The rope that Kayla was attached to started moving upwards and that was when his plan started making sense.
Kayla realised it too and started panicking.
K- No! Stop! Please Matthew! Make it stop!
C- MMMMM MMMMMMM MMM
I screamed, meaning STOP, my eyes widened.
I was trying now more than ever to break my hands free of the rope that was binding them together. I felt the warm blood from my wrists stream down my hands, and drip on the concrete floor.
Kayla started screaming as she was lifted into the air by her hands. She got raised higher and higher until she was about 2 meters in the air.
All her body weight relying on her wrists.
Matthew started cackling to himself as he pulled out a box of matches from his pocket.
I had completely forgotten about the ring of gasoline sounding her.
K- AHHHHH
Kayla screamed.
K- LET ME DOWN! IT HURTS!
Tears were rolling down her cheeks as pulled herself up, allowing her to breathe. (If you didn't know, you can suffocate by hanging by your hands, you have to lift your head above your hands to breathe.)
I knew she wasn't going to last long.
She would become tired and weak, unable to lift herself up. She would suffocate in minutes.
Matthew slid the matchbox open and picked out a thin piece of wood with a red tip. He closed the box and turned it to the side, exposing the dotted edge.
M- All it takes is one swipe.
He smiled.
I watched as his hand gripped the match and quickly swiped it along the side of the box, causing and orange flame to appear on the point.
K- NO STOP MATTHEW STOP!
He looked up at Kayla and smiled.
M- Why?
K- JUST STOP OKAY, IVE NEVER DONE A SINGLE THING TO YOU, WHY ARE YOU TARGETING ME?
His smile turned into a frown.
M- Its not necessarily you I'm after, it's your mother and Jonah. Emma killed my wife—
K- SHE WAS A CRACK HEAD, SHE KILLED A HOMELESS GUY FOR NO REASON. SHE DESERVED IT!
M- If you dare say that again—
K- YOU'LL WHAT? KILL ME? TOO LATE!
M- No.
He said calmly.
M- I'll kill him.
Matthew said, turning to me.
K- NO IM SORRY IM SORRY OKAY, PLEASE DONT TOUCH HIM!
M- It's okay. It will be quick.
K- NO STOP PLEASE PLEASE, KILL ME, KILL ME OKAY! DON'T HURT HIM!
C- MMM MMMM MMMMM
M- What?
C- M MMMM MMM MMMM MMMMM
M- What?
C- M MMMM—
M- Oh for Christ Sakes.
Matthew walked towards me and pulled the gag out of my mouth.
C- Finally.
I said, running my tongue over my dry lips.
M- What did you say?
C- I said, it's okay Kayla. He can kill me if it means you are safe.
K- No Corbyn, I got you into this mess, and now I'm getting you out—
She dropped her head underneath her arms and swung back and forth by her wrists.
She was trying to suffocate herself.
C- KAYLA NO!
Matthew started laughing.
M- I guess now I don't need the matches anymore.
He said, putting the flame in between his thumb and forefinger, snapping them together, making the flame disappear.
He dropped the match on the floor and walked towards the back door.
M- Time to see what your friend Jonah is up too. Nice knowing you Kayla.
He chuckled, before pushing the door open and exiting, leaving me to watch Kayla suffocate.
I was still trying to wiggle my hands out of the rope. I couldn't feel much, I'd lost so much blood, they were numb.
Her face went from a peachy pink, to a pale, almost white colour. I needed to do something.
C- Kayla, Kayla look at me, okay, I'm here I'm right here and I'm going to get you out of this.
Her head slowly lifted as she looked into my eyes, her body lightly jerking back and forth, gasping for air.
C- Pull yourself up, all you have to do is lift. Don't give up, you're stronger than this.
K- I— can't.
She whispered.
C- Yes you can, I know you can. I've seen it before. When Jonah repeatedly abused you, you took it, you didn't cry, you didn't fight back. You took it, and that's what made you stronger. I know you can do this, don't give up on me now, after we just got started.
For second, I thought she tensed her muscles, ready to pull herself up. But I was wrong. Her face was blue, all the air flow to her lungs was cut off. She gave me one last look before closing her eyes...