Getting Along

Getting Along

            The three of us were sitting on the dining table. We had some kind of ritual to always gather at the dining table in order to discuss something and this was, probably, the most important matter of all. We wore tense expressions on our faces and were constantly looking at each other. Suddenly I got up and started pacing beside the table.

            “Well, it has happened after a long time. Hasn’t it?” Alice  started. Her voice both asked a question and answered as well. 

           “But why?” I  countered.

           “Don’t know. May be it doesn’t need a reason to do this” She defended and not only Stiles and I knew it, she also knew that she had just blurted complete non sense. We just stared back at her.

            “Don’t you remember, according to Grandpa's book, it only stings when your “enemy” is near you” I said enemy in a completely differently voice so that they could get the impression. There was no need to remind them because the three of us knew every legend about that arm bands. Our Grand pa had this book of "The Bands of Zanara". He used to recite stories for us at night. We had listened to those stories a number of times but never refused grand pa. Grand Pa was very fond of this book. He used to say that this book was based on real stories and we would give our childish laugh and he just laughed harder. It was not until when we got the bands that we realized that our grand Pa was right all along. We had dug this book out from his personal collection after getting back from the Beacon County, and after reading, I was sure that those stories were true. That book helped us immensely in the early period. 

           We sat there thinking. “But it used to twinge round the clock at the start. Which enemy was near then?” Alice demanded, still not quite believing the information we had gotten from that book.

          “There must have been something because every other information about these have been proven right” Stiles added.

         He had been quiet all this time. His wrist was still read as though something had tightly clutched his wrist. He was still massaging his wrist lightly.

        “Yeah” I added supporting Stiles because all the information we’ve had got till now was absolutely fitting. The three of us remained silent for an indefinite period in which Alice moved towards Stiles and took a look of his wrist. She looked really worried even more than Stiles.

        It seemed like hours but after sometime I said “What has happened is past and I think we should better forget it and get on with our lives”, threw the band at Stiles and went upstairs.

               To be honest I was extremely worried but I could not let it show because then Alice would freak out, and believe me, you wish that you had never been born than to face a hyped Alice. Once Stiles had hidden all her clothes and the next morning Stiles was sitting in the couch with just his underwear on and begging Alice to give his clothes back. I chuckled on remembering this. Just then Stiles entered my room.

             He found me sitting in front of the window looking really lost in thought which I wasn't of course. He punched me in the back and seated himself right next to me.

           “Percy just called”

           “And?” I inquired standing up and moving towards my bed and switched on my laptop.