Give It A Shot

The night was no where close to finished when everyone returned to the cottage yawning, eyes drooping. Neither Y/N or Keith wanted to let go of the blanket on the walk back since it was cold, so Keith walked behind the girl, wrapping his arms around her tight, the blanket enveloping them both. Once inside, he guided her down the hall and into her bed, covering her with the blankets of her bunk right away to stop any heat from escaping.

"G'night, Y/N." He sent a warm, sheepish smile and left the room before Pidge would have mercilessly kicked him out.

When he returned to his room, the air was foul and a sense of worry flooded his systems. Lance sat on the bottom bunk with his head resting in his hands.

"Are you ok, Lance?" Keith muttered, disregarding his blanket at the door. His friend lifted his head and let out a deep sigh, rubbing his cheeks in distress. Rarely did Keith see Lance this conflicted and uneasy. Because it was so rare, it scared him.

"No," Lance admitted.

"What's wrong?" Keith asked, approaching his friend cautiously. He had a feeling what this was about but didn't want to say it right off the bat.

"You know what this is about." Lance looked up with eyes that seemed to be in a storm.

Keith sighed and ran a hand through his mop of hair. "Yeah, I do."

"So back off." Lance snarled. "I'm trying to protect her from you."

Those few words struck Keith in the chest, making his lungs collapse. That was when a realization set in.

"You sent Hunk towards us on purpose, didn't you?!" Keith's questioned. "Lance, someone could have gotten really hurt! I'm not even that fucking reckless!" He bellowed at his friend, trying to keep his voice down.

"YES YOU ARE, KEITH! Unapologetically falling this quickly for my best friend?! You're kidding me!" Lance shot back, his eyes beginning to water ever so slightly. He stood up and faced Keith, towering just a couple of inches above him.

"I thought you were my friend," Keith whispered. "I thought you wanted me to be happy. You told me to get my anti-social ass out of the house and meet some new people because, you never know, I might just find someone who I like. Because according to you, I need someone to fill that lonely void in my chest." He mocked Lance's voice and gestures the last couple of sentences.

"Keith—" Lance knew he was in the wrong. He knew he shouldn't be so protective of Y/N, but he couldn't help it. Keith had the potential to hurt people and he didn't want it to be Y/N.

"This is on you, Lance. You wanted me to find someone I cared about. And guess what? You brought her right to me."

Y/N and Pidge stood at the outside of Keith and Lance's bedroom door listening to the entire argument. Pidge sent a sympathetic glance up at Y/N who had her head resting against the door in agony. She never wanted any of this to happen. All she'd agreed to was a weekend trip with some strangers from the Garrison, not to start a war between friends.

That was when she decided to do something about it.

Y/N crashed through the door and broke Lance and Keith from their argument. They were practically at one an-others throats so she'd apparently timed her entrance well. Both of them looked to her with wide eyes, the vexation in them slowly fading out and replacing with a kind of shame. She was upset with the boys, angry. But she also understood where both of them were coming from. It was impossible to pick a side because no one was really in the right or in the wrong. All she wanted was for the dispute to be settled.

Both boys stared at Y/N waiting for her to speak but it felt like she had no words. She hadn't exactly planned this far ahead. "I—"

"You heard all of that, didn't you?" Lance knitted his brows together and winced when Y/N nodded.