POLITENESS

The security cameras in the house had become a bit of an issue for Cynthia, only day two. Ever since she met the mystery guy next door her mind had only focused on him. Cynthia had even gone so far as to play detective on Pamela Luther's Facebook but there were no pictures of him. The urge of texting her friends and tell them about her new distraction had just come into play this morning, but instead she left her phone on Flight Mode and plugged her headphone's in while she tried on the military green wrap skirt she bought two months ago.

Even though her parents had forbidden her to step outside she figured they had to allow her to get the mail, at least. After that she could make a run for it and quickly knock on Mr – and Mrs. Luther's door and finally ask for his name and perhaps know a little more about him, even though he didn't seem like the social type. She decided to pull her curly hair back in a bun before putting on the pink silk top and twisting and turning in the mirror for perfection. She needed this for her sanity, she told herself, if only just to feel normal for a day. The outside world had been cut off from her but she didn't want to live there anyway, in that world Maya was dead and everyone hated her. In this world, in this house, she was protected from the pain and nothing could touch

"You can do this," she told herself as she headed for the door, but not before turning to the security cameras, "I'm only getting the mail, so don't send out a search party!"

Her heart was beating uncontrollably fast as she walked toward the mailbox with her eyes glancing at the Luther's home. Cynthia had always been social and she had some experience with boys, but not nearly as much as her friends. She was hoping to change that this summer but sometimes life takes another turn. With a stack of letters in her hand she walked over her own lawn toward The Luther's and knocked firmly on the door. All the sound around her disappeared for a moment and the only thing she heard were her own heavy breaths anticipating when the door would open.

"What are you doing here?" The door ripped open and in front of her a sight of a half-naked man appeared. His jeans were on but his shirt was not.

Once again he looked sweaty, tired and like he didn't have time for her. Strangely enough it only made her want his attention even more. Who decides they don't like someone, just like that? Quickly she scanned through her memory to recall how bad her impression had been yesterday – not bad enough not to repair she concluded.

"I just came to apologize for my curiosity yesterday and welcome you to our neighborhood." She said with the broadest smile ever.

His eyes scanned her up and down, eyebrows frowned the entire time, and they finally landed on the mail in her hand. She quickly looked down and saw a letter from the hospital, it stung to know that he had seen it too. She had been so nosey yesterday that it would only serve her right for him to be the same to her.

"Well you if you're expecting me to pay those for you I can tell you right now that's—"

"I'm not obviously! I had just picked up the mail and thought I should come over and say hi...again."

The long pregnant pause lasted what seemed like forever and they still hadn't properly introduced themselves. Cynthia was dying to know his name and anything else she could get out of him, but she knew it would be difficult. His bare chest was almost blinding but Cynthia refused to allow him to intimidate her.

"Well...I'm Cynthia but everyone calls me Cyn, so don't call me Cynthia please, what's your name?"

"I'm Daniel," he said with a suspicious voice, "is there anything else or are you done with your little introduction now?" His rudeness was ridiculous in her eyes and she wondered why he was acting like this. Was he really Pamela's brother?