CURIOSITY

Who gets grounded during the summer? To get such a harsh punishment during her last summer before college one would have to have done something truly bad. Cynthia Costa growled when she looked outside at the lovely weather knowing she wasn't allowed to enjoy it along with her friends. Her growing case of 'FOMO' was beginning to suffocate her and it had only been a week. She could see her friends now; spending their days at the beach and heading to the desert for one of their famous 'Desert Parties' along with the boys from her school. Cynthia knew they had completely forgotten about her by now, no matter how well they all got along, not one of them had called or texted her.

Upon seeing a cab speed through her cul-de-sac she got up to hastily, too curious not to see whom it was, and the pain itching her ribs reminded her to slow down. The hallway mirror showed her the bruises and cuts on her face and arms – perhaps that's why her friends hadn't called her. The thought had entered her mind several time at the hospital, especially since apparently they had all come to see her while she was still in a coma, that perhaps they wished she had never woken up or that she had taken the place of their friend Maya.

"Alright then sweetie, your dad and I are off to the airport." Her mother snapped her out of her sadness, only to remind her how angry she was with her.

Her parents had been livid after the accident. How could she have been so stupid to accept a joyride from Maya and her boyfriend; especially when they had all been drinking? Looking back at it now Cynthia knew she would regret that choice for the rest of her life. As soon as the news of Maya's death had reached her hospital room she had grown cold on the inside. The pain from always regretting not talking Maya out of the joyride was worse than the physical one she had sustained.

"Alright, goodbye then." Cynthia said without even looking at her mother.

This summer her parents had booked a trip to Hawaii, along with Cynthia's cousins and their respective families, to celebrate all of them getting in to college. They had looked forward to this for months but after what happened to Maya her parents decided to go without her. Since it was far too late to receive any compensation for the trip her folks, Anthony and Tracy, decided that her punishment would be staying at home – grounded.

"Cynthia please don't be like this. We're leaving for 3 weeks and I don't want to fight right before we do." Tracy tried touching her daughter's bruised cheek but Cynthia quickly pulled away.

Ever since they dealt her this punishment she had put both her mother and father on a strict silent treatment. The only time she would speak was when they had to talk to the doctor, who quickly recommended family therapy as a way to get past this as a family – Cynthia quickly declined.

"I'm not the one who's leaving their daughter only three weeks after a coma, Tracy." Calling her mother by her name was her biggest dig yet.

Her mother hated being called Tracy, she'd much rather resort to her cute nicknames. Her father called her 'sweetie, baby or honey' and Cynthia of course called her 'mom'. Tracy said it made her feel wanted and loved in a way – so what better way than to take that away from her.

"Don't call your mother by your name, you know she hates that." Anthony appears in the hallway with suitcases and kisses Tracy on the cheek.

"It's not my fault—"she tried to reason but to no avail.

"Don't give me this attitude the first time you choose to speak. Meet your mother and me in the kitchen in two minutes; we have some ground rules to go over." Her father announced as he placed the bags by the door.

While heading for the kitchen Cynthia sees multiple boxes placed outside her neighbor's door and frowned for a second. Was someone else moving in?

"So, about these ground rules," her father started once the family meeting had commenced, "your mother and I think you should know that we have installed security cameras in the house."