SYMPATHY

Cynthia was only supposed to stay at Mrs. Mills for the night but surprisingly enough she was well on her second day with no intentions of leaving. Mrs. Mills had made up the spare room for her where she had made herself more than comfortable. Now she was standing in Mrs. Mills front garden having been talked into helping her plant some new flowers, but truthfully she would do anything just to spend some extra time with her. It was clear that Belinda Mills had lived a life of excitement and happiness and Cynthia wanted to soak up whatever she could from it. All the stories she had told about sneaking off to parties and arguing wildly with her parents reminded Cynthia of someone – herself.

"Can you pass me the roses, darling?" Mrs. Mills asked as she was crouched down in front of her lovely flowers.

Cynthia did as told but couldn't help to sneak glances at the Luther's house to see if Daniel was still there. She wished it wasn't as obvious but she still wanted his attention despite the way he had recently mugged her off. Belinda had encouraged her to leave Daniel be but there was something she just couldn't shake out of her head. Now that she was fine to vocalize her pain she wanted to offer the same relief to Daniel.

"I can see you," Belinda's voice made her snap out of her day dreaming, "you actually like that boy a lot more than I first thought, don't you?"

"It's not that I like him—"Cynthia tried to defend but Belinda wasn't having it.

"Oh but it is dear Cynthia. You have been glancing at that house since last night – it's obvious that you are fond of him."

"But he doesn't feel the same way about me as you can tell," Cynthia quickly retorted, "you're probably right; I should just forget him altogether. I'm going to college soon anyway; they'll be plenty of gorgeous guys to break my heart." She laughed at the thought.

She longed for college at this moment. The little independence she'd get once she was finally situated wherever she was going and to begin a new life. Her motivation now was Maya; she vowed to herself and to Maya to be a good college student and to aim for the starts just like Maya would. One day she hoped to be lucky enough to find someone who grabbed her attention – unfortunately it didn't look like that person would be Daniel.

"That's the spirit, darling, and you're probably going to be quite the heartbreaker yourself. You'll take after me – I can see it." They laughed together and then returned to the gardening.

Believing that she would have a peaceful day without any sight of Daniel was naive of her as he stomped out of his house and headed for the trash can. Cynthia's whole body straightened and she held her breath with wide eyes as she watched him. It was so easy for him to go about his day like he hadn't offended her yesterday, but Cynthia didn't forget so easily. It was clear to her now that two people with pain in their hearts might not go so well together, but she had tried anyway. Belinda was glancing at Cynthia with a mischievous look in her eyes which caused Cynthia to look anywhere else but at Daniel, she refused to give him the satisfaction.

"What do you say we get ourselves cleaned up and I can show you my photo album from when I was in Mexico?" Belinda said and Cynthia nodded quickly.

Up on her feet within seconds she headed for the door but a loud thump behind her caused her to stop. Poor Mrs. Mills had fallen to the ground and with a hand on her waist, groaning in agony! Cynthia turned and quickly got to the ground to help her up again, but with another loud scream Mrs. Mills shook her head 'no'.

"I hoped the pain was gone—but it seems I can't get up." Belinda mumbled with a faint smile on her lips.

"Don't worry; I'll call an ambulance right away!"