December 26, 2008

December 26, 2008

It was the day after Christmas, and Edward Morrison had no intention of getting out of bed any time soon. It was only nine o'clock, and although he was technically awake, his legs were too sore to move. He reached for the political thriller that he had borrowed from the library and cracked it open, but by the time he finished the first paragraph, his wife Lorraine walked into the room.

"Edward, Phil wants to visit today," Lorraine said. Despite the wrinkles that now covered her face, Lorraine was still the most beautiful woman in the world, at least if you asked Edward. Her deep brown skin and slightly crooked smile were still gorgeous, and every day, Edward thanked God that he had such a wonderful woman in his life.

"Didn't Phil come over last night?" Edward said.

"Yes, but he wants to see us again," Lorraine said. "He's bringing Audrey, Sylvie, and Everett as well."

Edward couldn't help but smile as he thought of his grandchildren. They were among the few things that could make him happy these days. "When are they coming?" Edward asked.

"They'll be here for breakfast in half an hour," Lorraine said. "You'll need to get out of bed, Edward."

Edward groaned and stumbled out of bed, using the bedpost to help him balance. His legs had been a problem that had plagued him since childhood, but his impending old age had only made things worse. Lorraine quickly handed Edward his cane, and he got ready to see his grandchildren.

Just as Edward finished brushing his teeth, the doorbell rang. He put his toothbrush away and hobbled towards the door, but Lorraine had already opened the door and let their guests in. Of course, it was Edward's son Phil, his daughter-in-law Audrey, and their children, Sylvie and Everett. "Hi Dad!" Phil exclaimed as he smiled and hugged Edward.

"Hello, Phil," Edward replied. "How are you?"

"I'm doing very well," Phil said. "Mom said that she was making pancakes. Is that right?"

"I'm right here, and yes, I'm making pancakes," Lorraine said. "They'll be done in about fifteen minutes."

"Grandma! Grandpa!" Everett exclaimed. "Can I play with trains?"

"Of course," Edward said, immediately knowing that Everett was referring to the train set that Edward and Lorraine kept for when the grandchildren were visiting.

"I want to play with the trains too," Sylvie said. "Will you play with us, Grandma and Grandpa?"

"I'm cooking, Sylvie," Lorraine said. "Do you want your pancakes?"

"Yes!" Sylvie exclaimed.

"Then just be patient," Lorraine said.

"I'll play with you," Edward said. He headed into the living room, and Sylvie and Everett followed him. He took the train set off of a shelf, and started to set it up.

"No!" Everett exclaimed. "Not like that!" He immediately started to rearrange the pieces, and although Everett's train tracks made little sense to Edward, he appreciated the four year old's creativity.

Sylvie had taken a few pieces for herself, and she was making her own track with them. However, the siblings soon started arguing over who could use which pieces. "Sylvie has too many trains!" Everett whined. "I need more trains!"

"Sylvie, could you give Everett a few of your trains?" Edward asked. "He only has one."

"No!" Sylvie exclaimed. "These are my trains!"

Everett promptly started to try, and although Edward did his best to comfort his grandson, Audrey and Phil had to step in. "What's going on in here?" Phil asked.