July 30, 2018

July 30, 2018

The day after the last race of the regatta, I didn't know what to do. There was no point in going sailing with Véro now that the regatta was over. I could text her and see if she wanted to do something anyways, but I didn't feel up to it, and I already knew that Eden was busy. Without the regatta in my life, I felt lost. The one goal that had dominated my whole summer was gone now.

The end of the regatta wasn't even my biggest problem. What bothered me most was Grandpa's reaction to my relationship with Véro. He wouldn't even speak to me, and even my parents were becoming distant, although they weren't nearly as homophobic as Grandpa. Everett was the only person in my family who didn't hate me now, and to thank him for that, I tried to be a little bit nicer to my little brother. The night after the regatta, I bought him a pint of Chocolate Oreo Volcano ice cream, his favorite flavor, and in return, he let me have the TV for once the morning afterwards. My relationship with Everett was better than ever - perhaps the only good thing that came out of my family finding out about Véro.

After rewatching The Incredibles, I decided to go sailing to clear my mind. Sailing always seemed to make me feel better, no matter what was bothering me. I didn't want to have to choose between my family and my girlfriend, but I was beginning to realize that was a choice that I would have to make, whether I wanted to or not. I left the TV remote on the couch and went outside. I looked toward the Arkouns' hammock, but Véro wasn't there, and I was fine with that. As much as I loved her, I needed some alone time to think things over, and she probably needed some time alone too.

I set up the sailboat, hopped inside, and set sail. However, even going sailing wasn't enough to distract me from my problems. Usually, sailing made me feel better, but for some reason, this was different. I looked down toward the bottom of the lake, watching fish swim by, and I worried about all of the time that I had spent with Grandpa and my parents as a child. Were all of those memories meaningless now? I didn't know what to think, and I didn't know why I couldn't just sail away from my problems.

I sailed past Grandma and Grandpa's house, but I could hardly look at it. Too many painful memories popped up every time I saw that house, and now that I knew that Grandpa couldn't accept me for who I was, it hurt even to think about him. I turned around and started to head toward the other end of the lake, but I heard someone shout my name.

I looked toward the house and saw that it was Grandma. "Sylvie!" she called again.

"What is it?" I asked, even though I didn't particularly want to talk to her at that moment. Talking to Grandma would only make me feel worse, and if I went inside, I would probably have to see Grandpa too.

"I didn't know that you were coming by," Grandma said. "Why don't you stop and come inside?" I was about to refuse the offer, but when I hesitated, Grandma said, "I made cupcakes."

That, of course, changed my mind immediately. I sailed toward Grandma and Grandpa's pier and climbed out of the boat. "I'd definitely like a cupcake," I said, smiling.

"I thought that you might," Grandma said, chuckling. "I'm sure that I've said this before, but congratulations on winning the regatta. I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you, Grandma," I said as the two of us headed into the house. Waves crashed onto the shore behind us, and my boat bobbed up and down in the water.

"You're welcome," Grandma said as she opened the door.

"Is Grandpa home?" I asked.

"He's running a few errands," Grandma answered.

Relieved that I wouldn't have to deal with Grandpa, I sat down in the living room while Grandma went to get the cupcakes. When she returned with a tray of Keep Clearwater Clear cupcakes, complete with little sailboats, I took one and quickly ate it. "This is delicious," I told her.