Introducing Iren (Iren)

Blankets, pillows, warmth, comfort. I was still trying to get used to it. I always have to remind myself that I am allowed to sleep. I don't have to torture myself anymore. I am warm now.

Before the fall (that's what I call the breaking of the virtues into sins) I worked. And I worked. And I worked. For hour, for days, for months. I knew no end to it. I thought that was all that existed in this world.

Work.

Effort.

Trial.

Perseverance.

Repeat.

My job was to do the kingdom's paperwork. I also lead construction efforts in the capitol and various towns needing help. I did finances and speech writing. In addition, I would help out with trade and foreign policies and judicial actions. I had occupied almost every leadership role or job in the capitol by the end of my virtue position. Obviously that meant I was extremely busy 24/7. I had strict schedules and no assistance. My life was organized on a giant hour by hour calendar in my apartment that I payed for myself despite my family's money. I got 2 to 3 hours of sleep a day and it was normally during carriage rides between towns and cities. It hurt. I hated it.

But don't get me wrong, it came with a massive amount of power. I practically controlled the entire kingdom. I can easily say that back then I had far more power than any king had ever had. Not that anyone noticed or acknowledged that immense power other than others wanting it. Every mob boss, criminal and corrupt leader wanted my position. That meant dozens of assassination attempts and political enemies. So at least it was exciting.

I learned numerous martial arts and self defense. Eventually I was enthralled by sword fighting and I gave up my few hours of free time to learn the art. But nevertheless, I was still suffering. I hated my job. I hated my life. My only escape were these small moments of combat practice but soon even those disappeared.

That's when the other female virtues suggested we convert to sinnery. I volunteered. Now I do what I want.

Light flooded my eyes as the blindfold was lifted and I jolted awake. It had been forever since I took the thing off so to suddenly have my world blinded by burning rays of light was not pleasant in the least. My attacker giggled, not yet realizing the complete and utter hell and torture that they had dug themselves into. Neither did they know that I was now awake and in the foulest of moods. I would skin them alive and use it as a blanket if I ever got around to taking the effort.

The deadman took a few tedious steps back assuming they had gotten away unharmed. They were wrong. Just as they turned around to make their escape, I silently stood and was at my provoker's back in seconds. I now recognized them as Reaka. This fact only motivated my anger further.

She finally noticed my presence at her neck with some sixth sense. Reaka slowly turned attempting at an arrogant expression.

"I guess this is the part where you get mad and I run away. But, hear me out, how about you instead don't get mad and I don't get hurt?" She grinned.

My only reply was a dead stare that must have been more intimidating than anything else because she suddenly took a step back. I remembered a time when I never would have dared to challenge someone. I didn't have time and it only caused problems. But that was then. This is now, and I can do anything I want now. So, instead of simply asking Raeka to give my blindfold back I swiped my foot forward and back, pulling her feet out from under her. She fell through the doorway and into the hall.

"You really want to start a fight here?," she challenged, "You know what happened last time." Another cocky grin.

"You're the one that woke me up," I scowled. "And yeah I remember what happened last time. I kicked your -"

Raeka took off in a sprint down the hall toward the kitchen. She was always unpredictable like that. Which really makes her rather predictable in the end. I follow on her heels until we reach the food room where all the food is and food is good. Someone screamed run to Raeka, who apparently doesn't respond well to encouragement because she spontaneously slammed her hip into the corner of the table and fell to the ground.

"Oooh. Sin down. Call the medics," our audience commentated.

I towered over my would-be attacker as she rolls on the floor.

"I win," I say as I swipe the blindfold, tie it around my head to cover my eyes and drag Raeka into the timeout corner. I have worn the black strip of cloth so long that I can almost see better with it on. The only difference is the lack of blinding light piercing my retinas.

    "Shut up, I could have had you if it wasn't for that villainous table," she objected.

    "Hmmh, totally. Now be a good girl and stare at the wall for a while." I turn and start heading back to my dark room. But before that I grab whatever food the person next to me happens to be holding. I don't even bother noticing who my contributor was as I retreat back into my cave of comfort down the hall.

    The last thing I hear before I drift back to sleep is: "My sandwich."