Chapter Three

Eight-year-old Terry Overman and her ten-year old brother Andy sat on the floor in front of their father, who was sitting in his big leather recliner. A very pretty lady stood next to him, an adorable baby in her arms.

"Kids, I have some exciting news!" Mr. Overman said, smiling. "Yesterday, I asked this beautiful woman right here to marry me! And can you guess what she said?"

"YES!! YES!!!!" Andy shrieked joyfully. He jumped on his daddy's lap and hugged him tightly. Then he ran over to his soon-to-be-mom and hugged her too. "You smell nice," Andy said, emitting a chuckle from both adults.

Mr. Overman then noticed his daughter was still seated. Her face was unreadable. "Honey, you all right?" he asked, kindly.

Terry's jaw clenched. "No, Daddy, I am not."

"And why is that?"

Terry didn't reply. She simply stood up, and headed toward the stairs. Terry was about to go up, when she turned around.

"You will never be my mommy, Lily."

----------

Terry's father talked on and on with some old couple who's names were Ronald and Ruth McCrick. Terry had been introduced when the conversation first started, but now she was just standing there awkwardly with Anthony and Sarah. No one tried to include her in the chit chat, for which Terry was rather grateful.

After a few minutes, Terry decided to excuse herself and go somewhere with a little privacy. She found the women's rest room, and ducked inside a stall. As she locked the door behind her, she pulled out her iPhone 4S.

Ahhh, Instagram. Finally something modern.

But guess what the first picture that popped up was. Her own father, posing with Mr and Mrs. McCrick in a selfie. Her dad and Mr. McCrick were simply smiling, but Mrs. McCrick was doing the DUCK FACE. What the junk!!

Dad, NO!

But Terry's embarrassment only worsened when she saw the caption.

"#selfiesunday with da McCricks! Love these guys! Coolest ppl evaa! #jtuchurchselfie"

#jtuchurchselfie? What on earth is that? Terry tapped the hashtag and found out it was this thing started by an account called @jesustaughtus, where you take a selfie at church and post it. "Jtu" stood for "jesustaughtus", of course.

Still super embarrassed, Terry screen shotted the picture and texted it to her best friend Maia with the message: Found this on instagram. I am so gonna kill my dad.

Maia almost instantly texted back: Lol what the junkkk!!!

Laughing, Terry replied. IKR. So what's going on at LABC?

MAIA: Lol im in a diffrent time zone remember? It's 8:14 am here i just got up. 😂

TERRY: Ohhh yeahhh 😜😂

MAIA: Soooo... How was ur new church???

TERRY: ITS ALL OLD PEOPLE SAVE MEHHH

MAIA: Lol r u serious?!

TERRY: Yass! It's bad bad bad- wanna facetime??

MAIA: Sure bestayyy :) i'll call

Five seconds later, Terry had accepted the call and Maia's gorgeous face was on the screen.

"Ahhhh!!" Maia screamed. "It's so good to see your face! I miss you so much."

"Miss ya too, bestie boo," Terry replied. "Hey, that rhymed!"

"Do I sense a poet in our midst?" Maia said dramatically. The two girls burst out into giggles.

Just then, Terry heard someone come into the bathroom. "Oops, someone's here," she whispered. "Talk to you later." Terry quickly pressed the end call button. Sliding her phone into her purse, she unlocked the door and stepped out.

"Well hello there pumpkin!" An old lady with snow-white curly hair, wearing a ugly floral dress, was rifling through her equally ugly leather purse. "How are you this fine morning?"

"Fine, thank you." Terry replied politely. "Nice dress."

Terry ran out of the bathroom and burst out laughing as the door shut behind her.

"What's so funny?" Anthony was standing right outside the door, with Sarah next to him.

"Ehh, nothing," Terry lied.

"Oh, pul-eez."

"Oh fine." Terry proceeded to tell him the story.

"That's not very nice," her brother said after she was done.

"Okay, maybe it wasn't. But you should have seen her face!"

"Andy, I gotta GO!" Sarah grasped her big brother's hand tightly.

"Oh, yes. Terry, take Sar-Bear to the bathroom. She's too scared to go alone."

Seeing there was really no other way, since Dad and Anthony were guys, and Mom was probably busy being Chatty Cathy, Terry agreed. "Come on, sis. Let's go."

----------

After a run-in with the lady Terry had insulted, which had consisted of some dirty looks, a "You should be ashamed, young woman", and multiple apologies from Terry, the Overman parents collected their children and the whole family headed home.

After about three minutes on the road, Mrs. Overman turned to face her children from the passengers seat. "Mr. and Mrs. McCrick are coming over!"

"NO." Terry's disagreement was short and sweet. (Well, maybe not so sweet.)

"YES," Mrs. Overman fired back. "Don't say 'no', young lady."

"Yes, Mom, I'm sorry." Terry replied. "But I really don't want to have them over! Did you see what Dad posted on Instagram?"

Mrs. Overman giggled. "No, I didn't see." She snatched her husband's iPhone 5s from the driver's seat. After a few seconds, she burst out laughing. "Kev, what am I going to do with you," she said.