Chapter Four.🟢

The huge silver doors opened wide, the bright white light reflected from them. Cora stared in awe. Her mouth hung open. She had seen nothing so beautiful. She walked down the hall; the walls were made of ice. The ice shone so brightly she could see her reflection. But the person she saw looked nothing like her.

Cora's breath got caught in her lungs. She did not appear in her usual old rumpled gown; she was wearing a dress and not just any dress. It was light blue, almost the colour of the glowing ice, and it was designed with sparkles. They glowed so brightly, but it did not blind her.

Her hair was brushed to perfection and was left to fall down to her waist. She turned to the hall. This had to be a dream. She ran inside and met with strange faces. People she had never seen before, but she was happy to see them. Why was she this happy?

Who were they? Cora moved closer to them. Most of them were young ladies, and the other were soldiers. One of them held a silver crown designed with purple gems. Cora bowed her head and the girl holding the crown placed the crown on her head.

It fit her perfectly, like it belonged there. Cora smiled, looking at her new dress in admiration. She raised her eyes up to look at their smiling faces, but their smile was gone. She saw blood break through their skin as they stood. The blood flowed down their face, from the corners of their mouths, from their eyelids, their jaw line, their ears and from their skulls.

Their eyes turned bright white. She moved back, feeling her heart in her mouth. It was beating faster than it ever had. Her eyes widened as she took some steps backwards, but she tripped and fell. She tried crawling away, but she heard ice cracking.

Her eyes look up and she saw the ice melt, the silver doors caught fire from where she knew not. The beautiful hall was coming down on top of her and she felt sad, like she was losing something precious and it was precious. She had seen nothing like it. The people who stood in front of her now fell dead at her feet. Her beautiful dress soaked up their pool of blood.

Cora tried to peel the dress off her skin, but it would not come off. She closed her eyes, wishing it all away, but when she opened them, it was still there. She looked around for an escape route but found nothing but cracking ice. The ceiling came down and there was nothing she could do.

She hated this the feeling of being helpless. She could have saved those people, even though she did not know them. They did not deserve to die and be forgotten like this. The ice finally cracked, sending an enormous wave of water her way, the flaming ceiling falling down simultaneously.

"Nooooo!" she screamed.

Her room door opened, and someone sat beside her, hugging her. Cora did not know who it was; she was too scared to open her eyes. She was afraid it was not a dream.

"It was just a dream Cora, you can open your eyes now." Barun's voice said. Cora believed him Barun was not in her dream. She did not realise it when she cried on his shoulder till she heard her own loud sobs.

She calmed down after a few minutes. Staring at her little brother playing through her open window. The sun light sipped into her room, making it bright. Her room was small, only able to accommodate a bed, a table and chair and then a place for her clothes. She kept her books on her table and had only a little space left to move around.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Barun asked. "Mother and father are outside. They did not hear you scream."

"It was not really a bad dream at first." she started. "I was in this beautiful place, doors made of silver, walls made of shining ice and I was wearing the most beautiful dress and was given the most beautiful crown I have ever seen." She said.