Chapter Seven.🟢

Cora straightened the ripples on her dress one more time. Just like when she was a child, everyone had gone back to their lives like nothing happened. She woke up, and her mood changed to a solemn one. It was the day for Barun to leave on his mission.

It pained her that a nobleman like Barun would fight side by side with those soldiers that almost did destroyed Ovalon. They were commoners, but not her brother, and now he had to leave. She passed the kitchen, ignoring her sobbing mother. Cora was surprise she did not make Barun get married.

The sight of her mother crying concluded her decision not to eat, an intense heart ache replaced her hunger for food. She ran to the shed and found her father hugging Barun tightly. Barun was back in his shiny armor. He looked so magnificent she could stare at home all day. Cora blinked profusely, forcing her tears back to her eyelids. She promised herself and Barun she would not cry today.

Zirk finally released his son and Cora made a sound to make her presence known. Zirk left them in the shed. They were his children, and he knew that Barun and Cora have been inseparable since Cora could walk. He knew how much Cora missed him when he left, and he knew how much they cared for each other.

"Cora," Barun called, taking her hands. "Promise me you will be safe and that we will meet again. Promise me."

Cora looked at Barun, at his face ever so sincerely. His eyes were blue like the ocean, except this ocean she knew held many secrets. Now was not the time to force it out of him. She nodded.

"I promise Barun." She said, and he did not wait another second to engulf her in a hug.

Cora leaned into him. His armor was warm. He grew a lot taller than her in a few years. She felt safe with him as she always did, and she enjoyed his presence. She would miss him. He released her and her hand clutched the necklace he gave her. She would never take it off.

Barun smiled and climbed his horse. He was sad about leaving, not leaving Ovalon or his family, but leaving Cora. He had to smile for them. They couldn't see his fear. Cora would read him like one of her books if he did. He trusted her. She would be safe the gods will keep her safe.

"Remember what I said about those dreams?" Barun said. Cora nodded and watched him ride away. She felt the tears pull on her eyelids, begging for release, but she could not release them, at least not yet.

She turned to her father, who stood at the entrance of their house. Her mother stood next to him now crying on his shoulders. Zirk hugged her and whispered soothing words to her ear.

Cora shifted her gaze from them to the ground. Her eyes stung now and her vision was blurry. She could not stand this much pain around them. Her demeanor broke easily. She turn on her heel and ran inside through the back door. Tivo rushed to her, staring at her with sad eyes. She pitied him for he was so young, yet Tivo knew she would leave and tried to stop her. She always did that after an intense argument with their mother, away from their presence she could think and come down from the heat she felt.

"Cora, it is not the end of the world. Barun will be safe!" He cried, moving closer to her. He wished he could hug her, but she was taller. He hated seeing her like this. She was upset and even his parents were scared when she got upset. Her head was shaking. She did not believe him. Tivo sighed and moved out of her way in defeat. What could anyone his age do?

Cora moved quickly to her room and grabbed her satchel. She ran out through the back door. She knew this would happen. The moment she was clear of the kitchen, she could not stop the tears any more than they flowed freely down her cheek. Barun did not want her to feel sad, but she did not feel sad. She felt heartbroken. Her inner sobbing gave her body warmth. She had to get away from here and be in a place where she could cry.