Condolence

"A woman would join tomorrow, he's sent a maid for you", mother said smiling me early in the morning.

"He would send me a maid but won't talk to me" I sniffed.

"Darling he is busy you know dad has so much aligned on him"

Outside the gate, I spotted Awan talking to a man from the window.

"If he calls, tell him he is useless," I said and proceeded to inspect what Awan was doing.

The man inquired about my father to which Awan replied "I am Mr. Al-Masi"

The man thought for a moment and handed him the letters.

"Any for my daughter?" Awan asked.

I fumed.

He signed the papers with my father's initials all while smiling at me.

"That is absurd!" I was aggravated and he was, well calm.

"I would not open it" he muttered.

"Why would you do that, are you, nutter!" I furiously demanded the letters.

"I cannot help this want to experience someone else," he said.

Like water over the fire, these words extinguished my anger.

"Why do you do this?" I asked now in concern.

He smiled. I did not smile back.

"You wait here, I would return" I stated and ran to my father's room, placed his letters and ran out again.

He left.

Why is he so peculiar and obscure?

The night came glittering with its thousand stars each one calling out a different name, the chills penetrated into the mansion and it was a little cold than it was before.

I succumbed to the soft and comfort ness of my sheets and watched an old classic movie with biscuits and tea.

I couldn't find my rose pink prayer mat. I pestered in my mother's room and found Awan there.

"Morning Miss" he greeted.

Mum was seated on the sofa aside.

"What is he doing here mum?" I asked.

"He came with the tea, he is quite amusing for a village boy" she praised the egoistic Awan.

"Have you seen my prayer mat?" I asked my eyes fixed on the ever smiling face.

"Are you asking me?" He asked.

"No. Mum?"

"There are plenty others, go pray on them"

I stormed out of the room.

The day passed,
The next evening a stout lady with grey hair and a pleasant persona admitted herself to this lonely abode.

This home of silence and crimson hostile questions that nobody dares ask.

The only man that can ever stay happy here was Awan and I loathed the smile he had today, he is so happy god knows why! this place is a wreck!

I had had enough. I broke down.

Cried for several hours and then I peeked in the kitchen window from the garden and saw Awan yet smiling and making acquaintance with the new addition.

I shook my head.
Why did you leave Grandma!?
Lord, why did you take her away when you knew I had not learned to walk on my legs yet?

Awan came sat next to me.