Chapter 10 - Connor

Connor hated his life. He was an outcast, he literally couldn't interact with people even if he did want to, and the only person who seem to like him had a very annoying, very obvious crush on his sister.

It drove him up the wall... but he also didn't want to bring it up because the anxiety-ridden gargoyle boy had begun to grow on him just a little.

'So what are you doing after school today?' Evan asked Connor when he sat down at lunch. It took him a moment to realize why he was asking.

They had a three day weekend, and a lot of seniors went on day trips with their friends.

"I'm going to see my grandma." He said flatly, playing with a string that he'd pulled from his hoodie.

'Is she nice?'

Connor shrugged. "No one likes her. That's why I do."

Jared Kleinman snorted, then flinched away sharply when Connor shot an annoyed glare at him.

'Is she...' Evan paused, looking a little upset, and Connor knew where the question was going.

"Human? Nah. She's a drygon."

Jared made a choking noise, but Evan perked up. "R-Really?"

Connor glanced at him. He had actually spoken aloud, which was surprising. Since they had figured out that sign language was easier for him, he almost never opened his mouth.

"Th-that's so- drygons- wow!"

He raised his eyebrows at Evan. "Do you want to come with?" 

"Can I?"

Connor snorted. "Yeah, if you wanna. I'll give you fair warning though, she's prickly as they get."

Evan paused for a moment before moving again. His excitement must have died down enough for him to go back to signing.

'It's okay, I've got thick skin.'

Connor stared at him for a few moments.

"Was that a joke?"

Evan flashed a shy smile. 'I can occasionally come up with one that isn't completely horrible.'

"That one was halfway decent." He nodded, poking at his lunch.

The gargoyle dumped his bag of pebbles onto the table and began to sort through them.

"Whatcha doin' Ev?" It seemed that Jared had decided to start poking fun again. He didn't get very far though, because Connor recognized the tone and shot him another glare, cowing the four-eyed kid into silence.

Evan looked up, a little surprised. "I-I'm sorting- sorting the rocks. They taste- the different kinds-"

"They taste different?" Connor offered, finishing the sentence. Jared made Evan very nervous sometimes, even though they said they were best friends. It was a weird dynamic.

Evan nodded quickly.

Connor leaned over and looked at the pebbles. He never really paid attention to what Evan ate, to be honest, but now that he was thinking about it, he was curious.

"So, do you digest them like a person would?"

Evan shrugged and popped one into his mouth. 'I'm not sure how human digestive systems work. But it goes down into my stomach, where there's some lava, and the lava melts it. I don't really need to eat, but it helps me regenerate rock as pieces fall off.'

"Do pieces fall off often?"

Another shrug and he ate a couple more pebbles. 'It's hard to tell, because gargoyles are really rare. Mom was surprised she did the spell correctly and actually managed to create one.'

"Must be nice, to be the way you are by someone's choice...."

Evan paused. 'Connor, stop it.'

He just continued to poke at his food.

There was a sharp nip on his scalp that Connor knew was Eden, but he ignored it.

The bell clanged, signalling that it was time to go back to class. Connor stood up, picking up his mostly uneaten lunch so he could toss it in the trash.

"I'll let my parents know you want to come with me to meet my grandma this weekend." He told Evan.

The gargoyle nodded excitedly. 'Just let me know when and where to meet you, I'm sure my mom will be fine with it since it's someone in your family and she likes you.'

"You say that, but I don't believe you."

Evan just shook his head. 'She does. She understands the whole gorgon thing and she says she's sure you're a nice boy.'

Connor snorted and shoved his way out into the hallway. Evan followed him quickly. 

"All that means is that your mom hasn't talked to my family about what I'm like yet. Her opinion will change, trust me."

People just couldn't like him. He understood that.

Evan just shook his head and walked off to class.

[A/N tbh I dunno what I'm doing with this story anymore, is anyone actually reading this? I never get votes or comments so I might just delete the entire thing]