Chapter 11 - Evan

Evan was shedding pebbles the whole way to Connor's Grandma's house. He apologized several times before Connor just waved him off.

"She won't bite. Well, she might, but she doesn't like to. It's usually self defense."

"That's not funny, Connor." Zoe snapped. She'd volunteered to drive, and Evan had a sneaking suspicion that it was because she could avoid Connor's gaze.

"It's hilarious." Connor said flatly.

"To you."

"Yeah, to me!"

She rolled her eyes and break checked him. Evan had been expecting some sort of retaliation, and he was tense enough as it was, so it really didn't do much to him, but Connor's head nearly hit the dashboard.

"Zoe!"

Zoe turned a corner and began to weave the car through some back-roads that traveled up into the foothills.

Evan twisted his shirt hem nervously. 

Drygons were notoriously volatile, and were known to hold grudges for a very long time. They were powerful and smart, and practically immortal.

Connor's grandmother could very well be thousands of years old. He wondered if she looked old, or if she had some modicum of control over her appearance.

"Evan, if you keep doing that you're going to rip your shirt." Zoe commented, glancing into the rear-view mirror.

He smiled a little. "Wouldn't- it w-wouldn't be th-the first time."

Zoe shook her head and held one hand up, mumbling something under her breath.

A little blue spark snapped to life on her palm. For a moment, it pulsed with light, then it expanded into a small object. "Here."

Evan carefully took the little rubber ball from her hand, frowning in confusion.

"It's a magical stress ball. You can squeeze it, pull on it, try to rip it apart, it'll stay in one piece."

"Th-thanks Zoe."

She nodded and shot Connor a glance. "You need one too, twitchy?"

He hissed at her. Zoe rolled her eyes.

"You've been pulling that since I was six, I know you're not serious."

Connor looked out the window again. Evan squished the stress ball in his hand.

Finally, Zoe stopped the car on the side of the road. "Well, I'll come to pick you two up on Monday. Get out."

Connor grabbed the bags from the trunk while Evan carefully clambered out of the car, making sure not to scratch the paint as he closed the door.

"See ya!" Zoe hit the gas and sped off. Evan noted that her driving was considerably more reckless once she was the only person in the car.

"Brat." Connor muttered to himself, shaking his head. "Ready to go, Evan?"

He nodded, taking his bag quickly. Connor led him up to the nice looking house they had been dropped off in front of.

Evan frowned in confusion when the gorgon walked right past the front door, following the wrap-around porch. "Wh-where-"

"This is Grandma's landlord's house. She lives out back."

Evan nodded and followed him quickly, getting the feeling that he was being watched.

Connor traipsed down the back patio steps and out into a pretty garden. Evan meant to stay close to him, but he was distracted by the gorgeous flowerbeds around them.

"Evan? Oh, there you are." It seemed the gorgon boy had lost track of him momentarily.

"Th-these are- they're- they're beautiful." Evan reached out to gently brush his fingertips over the petals blossoming from a small tree.

"Grandma likes gardening." Connor nodded. "I'm sure she'd be more than happy to talk to you about it, or show you what she planted."

He nodded, feeling a little better about this now. Hopefully the drygon woman would like him a little more because he liked plants.

Connor walked up to the shed at the back of the yard, a little wooden construction that was built up against the hillside. Evan raised his eyebrows and followed warily.

He knocked on the front door.

"She-she lives here?" Evan asked, confused. The shack would hardly give three of them a comfortable place to stay for three days.

Connor nodded, grinning. "It's not what it looks like. You'll see.

The door to the shack opened, and Evan's eyes widened.

Connor's grandmother looked like she was 50, at the most. Her blond hair was starting to turn silvery white, but the rest of it was light enough that it wasn't really noticeable. Her eyes were completely leaf green- no iris or pupil. He wasn't going to ask how that worked.

She was probably 5 feet and 9 inches tall, but spiraling horns the same color as her eyes stuck out of her head and added at least a foot to her height. She had huge green wings that stretched over her shoulders, barely getting through the doorway, and her fingers ended in wicked claws.

"Hi Grandma." Connor grinned.

[A/N so Drygons are my creation, and here are the notes I have on them:

-eldest of the shape-shifting races (older than werewolves and other better known creatures)

-capable of transforming parts of their bodies into that of a dragon's - wings, horns, claws, teeth, all the same color

-breathe fire

-can manipulate a person's view of them if they are sexually or romantically intimate - this also prevents them from BEING emotionally manipulated

-extremely volatile and often hold massive grudges

-usually live in caves

-can only be killed by ripping their heart out

Also I based this drygon's physical appearance (the white-blond hair and the height) on my mom :D

As always, tips/suggestions for Evan's stammer/stutter are appreciated]