sixteen; you're something special

Mary had arrived at Billy's with a sour attitude

      Mary had arrived at Billy's with a sour attitude. However, upon entering she tried to smile and be kind towards his parents that greeted her into their home — his father seemed surprised whilst his step-mother seemed relieved and happy for him. Billy's redheaded step-mother had introduced herself as Susan and his father said his name was Neil; Mary wondered how long it would take before she would forget their names.

        She had been brought into the dining room where Susan went to retrieve the homemade lasagna from the oven, "Maxine, it's time for dinner!" She called over her shoulder and Faye looked over her shoulder as she sat down with Billy across from her.

       His father eyed the boy up that slouched in his seat, "Aren't you going to be a gentleman and pull the seat out for your guest?" He asked, to which Billy straightened himself out a bit, a hard look washing over his features.

       Mary offered a smile, "Oh no, it's alright. I'm already sitting —"

       "Billy, be a gentleman to your friend." Neil spoke over her, looking down the table and meeting Billy's eyes who's whole presence seemed to have changed. He seemed stiff and alert, unlike his usual loose and carefree attitude.

      Billy pushed his chair back and got up even though it was clear he didn't want to. Mary looked up at him with a 'is he serious?' look before she slipped out of her chair and waited for Billy to pull it back in which he did. She hesitantly sat back down, offering an awkward smile, "Thank you, Billy." She said, suddenly feeling incredibly uneasy in his father's presence. Mary often thought she was a good judge of character and she didn't get good vibes from Neil Hargrove.

      She exchanged a seemingly mutual nervous look with Billy as he sat back down again. Someone else joined the table at Mary's side and she looked to her left. Seeing the girl with red hair she smiled, "You must be Max," Mary said as she extended her hand towards the girl that stared back at her. She was more confused about why someone would willingly come to her house, "I'm Mary Hopper." She pushed her hand closer to the girl and she took it, shaking it hesitantly.

     Mary wasn't anything like the girl's Billy usually pursued. She didn't have perfectly permed blonde or red hair and she didn't have that air-head look to her. In fact, she seemed very comfortable with herself and not stupid at all. Though, Max had to question that since she was at their dinner table of a problematic family.

       "Max," She replied, almost looking shy as she offered a smile. Max wasn't entirely used to the company of girls since she got along with boys better — something she and Mary already had in common. Her mother was looking at her expectantly as she served the lasagna and she perked up, "I like that top you're wearing." She quickly said to Mary that looked down with a smile.

       Susan smiled in relief that her daughter was mingling. Mary looked to Max, "I got it during the summer at this cute little boutique in the middle of nowhere. My boyfriend bought it for me after I eyed it up for a good while." She said with a grin and Max chuckled whilst Neil glanced over at the girl, his fork already in his lasagna his wife had served.