twenty-six; burn it out

Mary Hopper had no doubt in her mind that she was about to die

        Mary Hopper had no doubt in her mind that she was about to die. But her life wasn't flashing before her eyes and she saw no bright light — only the emotionless face of her boyfriend as he pushed on her throat, strangling her with no regard for her life.

Suddenly, Charlie's grip on her throat loosened and Mary could momentarily see by him and to Corina that stood behind him, holding her hand out where shadows were sprouting from. They were wrapped around his arms and stomach, pulling him back but he fought against it, clawing at Mary's neck who turned her head away and pushed herself away from him, getting to her feet when Corina threw him across the room and released him.

Mary scurried to Corina, collapsing into her and the girl held her up, pulling her backwards, "Come on, we've got to go!" Corina yelled as Charlie recovered, slowly getting up.

Despite not wanting to leave Charlie being possessed by the mind flayer, Mary knew they had no other choice and nodded her head. Corina pushed her forward, letting her go first and she ran out the door behind her, "Where are we going?!" Mary called back, running onto the empty road.

"The woods!" Corina yelled, catching up with her just as Charlie came bursting through the door, looking around like a maniac for them — this time though, he was holding an axe in his hand.

Mary jumped on the balls of her feet, "Shit!" She hissed, grabbing Corina's wrist and running into the tree line. She didn't have to look back to know Charlie was coming after them because she could hear his heavy Dr. Martens stomping along the ground behind them.

It was hard, running late at night with no light source other than the moon in the sky and after being strangled half to death. Mary tripped but managed to catch herself. She looked over her shoulder, not seeing Charlie, "We have to hide!" She exclaimed, out of breath with her face still red.

Corina looked around, seeing nothing but thin trees. She looked back at Mary, "I can warp us some place, just say where and we can —"

"No," Mary spoke over her, "If we leave him, gods knows what he'll do! We have to do what Joyce is doing with Will, we have to flush that thing out of him!" Mary said, occasionally glancing around to make sure Charlie wasn't sneaking up behind them.

"How are we supposed to do that?"

"I — I don't — wait, the pool! It's closed at this time of year but if we get in there, we could get Charlie into the sauna —"

"And we can burn it out of him!" Corina finished, nodding along with her.

Mary grinned, "Exactly!"

Corina frowned, "But how do we do that?"

Mary thought it over for a moment before coming up with an idea she was sure would work, "We let him find us and when we do, we grab him, I think of the pool and you warp us there. Once we're in we make an instant break to the sauna and lure him there."