twenty-two; morse code communication

Everyone had went back to the Byers

        Everyone had went back to the Byers. The atmosphere was awfully quiet as everyone sat in different groups, not knowing the right things to say. Mary had been standing at the window, staring out through the blinds with her arms wrapped around her body when Jonathan approached her.

He put his hand on her shoulder gently but it still made her jump and he took it off, looking at her softly, "Sorry," He said and she sighed in relief at the sight of him. He was holding two towels underneath his arm, "The waters warm now — you can go for a shower." He told her, handing her the towels and she offered him a smile as she took them.

"Thanks, Jonathan. How did the trip with Nancy and Charlie go? What were you's doing?" She asked as Jonathan walked her to the dimly lit bathroom.

Jonathan scratched his head, "It's a really long story, but basically we think we know how to put an end to Hawkins Lab now and not only end them — expose them." He explained.

Mary rose an eyebrow, "You might not need to if there's no Hawkins Lab left..." She said, trailing off and holding his gaze.

Jonathan frowned, "There'll always be people like that. At least now, we have a rough idea on how to expose them," He told her and she shrugged her shoulders. She didn't care much for exposing the Lab. Jonathan put his hand on her arm cautiously, "Are you okay?" He asked with concern, realising she wasn't being as loud or as talkative as usual.

Mary pursed her lips and nodded but Jonathan's gaze didn't falter and she found herself sighing heavily, her shoulders sagging, "I can't stop seeing it — Bob's death. It — It's stuck in my brain and I can't seem to get rid of it," She admitted, stuttering a little, "A—And I know I didn't know him like you or your family but when I broke my Walkman two months ago, he was so patient with me and stayed behind at work to fix it because I was complaining about how much I needed it and I just — he didn't deserve that..." She shook her head, pushing her lips together and trying to stop herself from crying; she was so sick of crying.

"C'mere," Jonathan said, extending his arm and wrapping it around her shoulders, pulling her into a one-armed hug and she let out a deep breath. Jonathan rested his chin against her head, "Bob was a good guy and I really liked him — especially with my mom. But he didn't die for nothing, your dad told me how without him they would never have gotten out... They would all be dead. Bob was a hero." Jonathan whispered to her, stroking her shoulder with his thumb in circles.

"That doesn't change the fact that I cant seem to stop thinking about it — I watched him and a scientist being torn apart today just when I thought nothing could get as bad as the Upside Down," Mary swallowed hard, her throat tight, "Jonathan, I'm scared." She confessed, her voice breaking.

Jonathan nodded on top of her head, making her feel it instead of seeing it, "Me too." He admitted. Both of them were completely unaware that they had the eyes of Nancy and Steve watching them — Nancy was watching without pretending like she wasn't whereas Steve was watching from the corner of his eye.