Getting There

Ash stared over the side of his borrowed lapras. It was part of a business that ferried pokemon trainers to Victory Road, because many trainers didn't have a pokemon who could use surf, or the surf HM. The nice couple who ran the business had been surprised. For years, only a set number of trainers had won. He was one too many.

Ash was a bit surprised by this. He was originally worried about the trainers. His battles had been so hard, and he had a pokegod. How could another trainer beat all the gym leaders too? After all, Falkner had those weird birds that Midnight had said(?) were clones, and Morty had that giant gengar that almost beat Midnight. The other trainers must have super strong pokemon and be great trainers. But once he learned that the other new trainers were a set number each year, he got a bit suspicious. Still, he would make sure to see how strong the trainers were before he jumped to conclusions.

It wasn't long before he came to a cave, and no way around. He went in and saw a huge waterfall. How could he get up that?

He touched his pokeballs. The lapras could surf, but he knew it didn't know waterfall. The couple had mentioned that since the normal number of trainers had gone through, and taken the normal number of lapras, they were out of lapras that knew waterfall. Of course, they didn't say why it mattered. Midnight might be able to fly, but the cave didn't have a very high ceiling. And if anything happened, they would plunge into the waterfall.

"Midnight, I choose you!" he called.

"Mid mid!" she said cheerfully, appearing.

"Midnight, I need to get up that waterfall. Do you know how I can do that?"

Midnight looked. Yes, there was a way. She knew she could get up there, but how? Oh!

She quickly flipped Ash onto her back. "Midnight, what are you doing?" he asked, worried.

"Midnight mid!" she said, then raced towards the water and waterfall. Ash noticed she didn't seem to be getting ready to fly.

"Midnight! You don't know surf! What are you doing!"

"Mid!" Midnight agreed, speeding up. Right before they entered the water, Ash closed his eyes, knowing something bad would happen.

A few seconds later, Ash opened his eyes again. He wasn't in the water, for some reason. Looking down, he jerked. Midnight was running swiftly across the water, straight up the waterfall!

At the top, without slowing down, Midnight turned, sliding across the water and hitting the side of the cavern. She ran along this sideways, then leaped off, running down a second waterfall, across the water at the bottom, and out the cave.

Outside, Ash stepped shakily off as Midnight shook herself, getting rid of the droplets she had acquired from the spray of the falls.

Staring at her blindly, he asked "Midnight, did you just do that or am I going nuts?"