Chapter Four: Positively Primevil

Eleanor woke with a splitting headache. Perhaps she had gotten too tired the night before and was severely paying the consequences for it. She rolled over in bed, stretching out contentedly. Her eyes snapped open in a panic.

            This room was not the room she fell asleep in.

            While the other room was big, this room seemed to be bigger than her house. The ceiling was so tall, Eleanor wondered how anyone could possibly clean up there. It was ornately and extravagantly decorated. Light streamed in from large windows, making the room appear bright and cheerful.

            Eleanor maneuvered around the room quietly, to get a bearing on her surroundings. Her heart was racing so fast she feared it may leap from her chest. She tried remembering any possible way she could've ended up here, but she couldn't.

            The room had a connecting bathroom and a balcony. Eleanor stood out on the balcony, trying to place her surroundings. She was nowhere familiar and she was certain if she had seen this estate in passing, she would've recognized it here. The room where she was trapped in was tucked high in the farthest corner of the building, not making for an easy escape.

            Seeing no other way out, Eleanor thought she might try the easy way out. Through the front doors. Cautiously, she stepped over to them and tried the handle. The door clicked open without the slightest hesitation. Her kidnappers had left her door unlocked.

            But as she swung open the door, she instantly realized why. Two armored guards stood at the doorway. They turned when they heard the door open.

            "Ah, Mademoiselle, you're up. Allow me to go fetch the master, you stay right there," he beamed cheerfully at her. She watched the man, dumbfounded, as he walked off down a hallway.

            She looked at the other one, who didn't seem to be regarding her at all. He stared straight ahead, unbothered by her presence. If he wasn't paying close attention, perhaps she could run past him and make her escape. She shifted thoughtlessly, to ready herself for the run.

            "Don't even think about it," the guard growled menacingly, "I will catch you."

            Eleanor quickly shut the door behind her. The front door was no good either. Whoever had brought her here put a lot of thought into her not escaping. She shuddered at the thought. Then she looked out over the balcony again.

            Perhaps she could tie the blankets from the bed into a rope, swing onto the side of the building, and climb down from there. She was no acrobatic specialist, but Eleanor knew she would do whatever it took to escape.

            She heard the door begin to open and she backed away from the balcony. She stood by her bed, waiting to face her captor.

            Two men entered the room, one older and one younger. They were father and son. Everything about them was nearly identical.

            "Good evening, Mademoiselle," the older man greeted her with a flourish, "It's a pleasure to meet you. I am Monsieur Gerard." He held out a hand for her to shake. She ignored it.

            "I don't care who you are," she hissed, trying to appear braver than she felt, "I want to know why you've kidnapped me."

            "Such a fiery temper," he chuckled, "But I wouldn't say kidnapping, that's too harsh a word."

            "Whatever you call it, it's still kidnapping," Eleanor snarled. Monsieur Gerard rolled his eyes at her.

            "As soon as your father gives himself up willingly you'll be returned to where you were, safe and sound," he promised, smiling at her as though she were a simple child.