Chapter Twenty-Three: You Came Back

Eleanor scaled the building. She hoisted herself up onto a ledge, looking around frantically for any signs that Michel would have arrived before her. Above her, she heard the clashing of swords. Higher up on the roof Arno and Michel swung furiously at each other, balancing precariously on the roof.

Eleanor tried scaling up there to help, but the building was slick with rain and she would lose her handholds. She was stuck on the sidelines as the two of them fought. They traded equally powerful blows, each trying to knock the other off. A well-timed blow sent Arno falling down the side of the roof.

"No!" Eleanor shouted. She rushed forward, even though she knew there was nothing she could do. As he slid down, he latched onto a spot he could climb up on. However, when he turned his gaze it was not up at his enemy, but rather toward Eleanor.

"Eleanor!" he called out to her, "You're alive!"

"Eleanor?" Michel asked, incredulously, "How did you escape?"

Lightning crashed in the sky. A blinding light filled their vision and when it was gone, Michel was gone.

"Arno, are you alright?" Eleanor asked.

"I'm fine. Stay there," he called down to her, "I'm coming down."

Arno slid down the side of the roof, moving from handhold to handhold. Until finally, he dropped down in front of her. She raced to him. He lifted her into an embrace, burying his face into the crook of her neck.

"I'm so glad you're okay," he breathed, letting her go.

"Me too. I was worried it would be too late when I got here."

"We should find Michel and end this. Do you have a weapon?"

"No."

"Then here," he drew his sword and handed it to her.

"We should split up," she instructed, taking the sword, "That way he can't sneak—"

"No!" Arno shouted.

Before Eleanor could wonder what was happening, Arno pulled her around. As they traded places, she saw exactly what he was screaming about. Michel held out a smoking gun. Arno flinched as the bullet struck him. He faltered, swaying like a leaf in the wind. A second shot rang out and Arno stumbled forward again, this time falling over.

Eleanor ran toward Michel, brandishing her sword. He stood on the ledge, reloading his gun. She reached out to grab it from him, but he pulled back. Lighting crackled in the distance. She tried harder to grab the gun away from him, only he tried just as hard. Eleanor's fingers began to slip, and Michel noticed it. With one final tug, the gun was wrenched away from her grasp. But Michel wasn't left with his victory for very long as he sent himself flying backwards off the roof. A sickening thud sounded from below.

Without wasting any time, Eleanor rushed back to Arno's side. She sat beside him, propping him up on her lap. He was breathing heavily, wincing after each breath.

"Eleanor, you came," he breathed, smiling at her.

"Of course," she chuckled, despite being on the verge of tears, "Where else would I be?"

"I thought you were dead," he whispered, reaching up to caress her face. She held his hand to her cheek, savoring his touch. "When Michel told me you were gone," he trailed off.

"But I'm fine," she assured him, "And you will be too. We just have to get you to a doctor."

"I don't think that's possible, Ellie," he chuckled, wincing as he did so.