Chapter Nineteen: Point of No Return

The next week or so, Eleanor spent her days resting. It was a dreadfully boring way to spend the day. Any time she tried to get up and move around the room, Arno would appear and usher her back to bed. The worst part about it was that most days he seemed to be avoiding her.

Most days all she had was Marion to talk to. And when Marion was busy, she would read. She had read more books in the past week than she had in the past few months. But what she desperately wanted was to talk to Arno.

And then it came to the day, Eleanor was allowed to leave. She was given hardly any warning. The doctor said she was well enough to leave and her father came in, announcing for her to pack her bags. And that was what she was doing, along with Marion's help.

She had packed all of her new clothes into her new suitcase, along with several other baubles she had collected on the way. Solemnly, she picked up the dress she wore to the ball merely weeks ago. Yet to her, the ball felt like another world entirely.

"Do you think we can fit this into the suitcase, Marion?"

"I don't know, Ellie, the trunk's awfully full."

"I see," she mumbled, "I don't suppose I'd have any place to wear it at home anyway."

"We can keep it here for when you visit," Marion suggested. Eleanor nodded, numbly, hanging the dress back in the armoire. When they finished packing up the luggage they sat down on the bed, utterly exhausted.

"I'm going to miss waking up in this place every morning," Eleanor sighed.

"I know we'll miss having you here, Ellie," Marion sighed, "Though Monsieur Dorian is driving me insane."

Eleanor giggled, "How do you mean?"

"Ever since you got injured," she shook her head, "He's been moping around the house, drinking his weight in liquor."

Eleanor frowned.

"Well he's at least doing some work, that should keep him busy for a few hours," Eleanor chuckled without humor. Marion shook her head.

"He hasn't left his room," she sighed, "It reeks of alcohol in there. I don't have any idea how I'm going to get the smell out."

"Are you sure? He couldn't have left while you were doing your work?"

"Why do you want to know?" Marion laughed, "What's so important?"

"Just curious, is all," Eleanor lied, shrugging nonchalantly.

"Well in any case, he couldn't have. I've had the other maids checking in on him to see if he needs anything and they never reported him missing."

"I see," Eleanor frowned, "I should go talk to him before I leave. Excuse me."

"Of course, and I should return to my duties."

"I'll miss you," Eleanor smiled. She brought Marion into a tight hug.

"And I'll miss you too, Eleanor," Marion whispered.

There was a long moment before the hug was broken. Neither of them wanted to let go. Letting go would be one more step closer to leaving and Eleanor couldn't bring herself to do that. Finally, Eleanor pulled away.

"But," Marion put a smile on her face, "I'm sure you'll be visiting us often."

"Oh, you can plan on it," Eleanor chuckled.