Chapter Twenty-Four: Certain as the Sun

Over the next few days, Arno was recovering spectacularly. Much to his relief, he was allowed to get up and move around. It was much easier to steal moments with each other when he wasn't bed-ridden. And during all those moments, Eleanor still didn't bring up the conversation of their relationship. She couldn't bring herself to do it, always chickening out at the last moment.

Today, Eleanor had scheduled to meet with Madeleine, Christine, and Renee. Now that Gerard was gone, she could wander the streets freely and without fear. Her father allowed her to leave the house without a bodyguard, which meant that Arno wasn't with her.

It was a strange feeling walking through the streets of Paris without him. Eleanor had to admit, it was a much lonelier walk as well. And while she knew she didn't need him there, she would've enjoyed his company.

She met the girls at a little café. They had already ordered for her and were chattering excitedly amongst themselves. They all turned and exclaimed loudly as she walked up.

"And where's Arno?" Madeleine frowned, looking around her.

"He's at home," Eleanor giggled, sitting down, "He's no longer my bodyguard."

"Shame," Madeleine frowned, "Will you be getting a new one? One just as handsome?"

"No. No more bodyguards," Eleanor laughed, "I'm a free woman now."

The girls exchanged uneasy glances.

"We heard about what happened to Monsieur Gerard," Christine whispered.

'We wanted to make sure you were okay. I mean," Madeleine paused, "We know you didn't have feelings for him, but to be there must've been upsetting."

Eleanor nodded carefully. She wasn't sure what the rumor was that they had heard, but she thought it safest to agree and find out later.

"It was traumatic, but I'm fine," Eleanor waved them off.

"Truly?" Madeleine asked.

"Truly."

"Well then, since if you're truly fine, I have some exciting news!" Madeleine squealed.

"We all do," Christine interrupted.

"Well then what are you waiting for?" Eleanor giggled excitedly.

"I got invited to study under a famous painter!" Madeleine exclaimed.

"Maddy! That's wonderful!"

"I know, I've been putting my work out there for years, but I never thought they'd get noticed."

"But does that mean you're leaving Paris?"

"Only for a few months out of the year. It was the only way I could get them to agree to allow me to go."

"I'm so happy for you, Maddy."

"Thank you, Eleanor. Okay, you go now, Chrissy."

"I'm engaged," Christine blurted out.

"Christine that's so exciting," Eleanor grinned.

"I know, and I took your advice to heart, Eleanor. He's not as rich as my family would have hoped, but I care for him deeply."

"Oh, that's wonderful, Christine."

"It really is. I'm sorry for doubting you."

"It's no big deal, really."

"Alright, Renee. Your turn."

Renee nodded slowly, "I talked to my family about my predicament. And after a lot of yelling, they've decided to allow me and Henri to be together."