Chapter Twelve: The West Wing

Eleanor walked home with Arno directly by her side. They had just checked up on Michel and he was fine, if a little angry that he had been forgotten in the first place. Eleanor has also picked up the dress that Arno had bought for her.

They had talked easily between each other the entire walk home. However, their idle chatter was cut short when they spotted someone waiting for them at the door. Eleanor noticed Arno step between them, tensing as they walked closer.

"Oh, Monsieur Dorian! I was told to deliver this letter for you. It's from the council," the young man offered.

"The council," Arno frowned, "They know I'm already doing a job."

"It's in the letter, Monsieur."

The young man dashed away, climbing up over the house, and away from sight. Arno watched the area around the house with great intensity. He clutched the letter tightly in his hands.

"Let's get inside, Eleanor," he said stiffly. Eleanor hesitated momentarily. She had never seen him this stern before. But she did what he said and moved inside. He ushered her toward the study, closing the doors behind them.

"Is something the matter?" Eleanor frowned, fear bubbling up in her gut.

"Nothing, it's just," he held up the letter and smiled reassuringly at her, "This could be a trap."

"Read it and find out," she whispered. Arno nodded and opened the letter. Sitting down at his desk, he read it. She stood across from him, waiting. "So?" she asked, as he finally looked up from the letter.

"Not a trap," he sighed, "A distraction, maybe."

"A distraction for what?" Eleanor frowned, "What has my father gotten involved in that lead him to so much trouble?"

"I can't say," he smiled apologetically, "Only that your father made them rather angry."

"So, will you go?" Eleanor sighed, changing the subject.

"I have to," he sighed, "I need to stay on the council's good side for now."

"A troublemaker, are you?" Eleanor teased.

"Naturally."

"I could come with you," Eleanor offered, "Be your backup."

"I don't think that's the best idea."

"Why not? You said it yourself that I was doing great in my training."

"This isn't a mission for beginners," he assured her, "You're too inexperienced to handle this right now. Besides, if you're there I'll be too focused on keeping you safe than I'll be on the objective."

"So, what do you want me to do?" Eleanor snapped, "Stay home, locked up in my tower?"

"Of course not. They know where you're staying, we have to move you someplace they don't know about."

"Which is?"

"You're going to have to trust me," he gave her a somber look.

Eleanor sighed with annoyance, "You know I do."

"You'll have to put on this," he handed her a thin strip of fabric, "You can't know about it either, I'm afraid."

"You so owe me one," she snatched it, grumbling. Reluctantly, she tied the fabric across her face.

"You can't see anything can you?" he asked.