Quiet Moments

Black Hat was not one to be easily distracted. Especially in the business he partook in.
However even that has been...changing.

He remembered picking up the injured girl in his arms, his uncovered eye flickered over to the wounds he had given her.

For some reason, it made him feel this odd thing in his chest. Pain? He wasn't sure. It wasn't possible anyway.

Rose had insisted that Demencia was too far gone to even be a part of the organization anymore, Vilgax agreed.
But Flug simply looked at the two with worry, knowing that should he say something along these lines as well, he'd be dead meat.
So the scientist said nothing as Black Hat carried Demencia inside and set her in one of the guest rooms, demanding that Flug and 5.0.5 help her heal.

And that brought him here.

A newspaper in his hands, and he was far too troubled to even bother reading it.
He wasn't supposed to be troubled. He never was, never should be.
And yet...

The eldritch growled, setting the paper down and heading out of his office.

Only to run smack dab into Demencia, who was leaning on her IV for balance.

"Uhh..hey" The hybrid said rather meekly.

Black Hat blinked in surprise, "Are you alrigh—I mean— Are you hur—I..fuck.. hello Demencia.."

She tilted her head, "You good?"

The eldritch was practically choking on his own words, "I'm fine! Never better in my whole life!"

"Oh..so, ya didn't know it was me huh?"

"Oh no I could totally see your face through the strange substance covering youR WHOLE BODY"

"Okay, I'mma take that as a 'no, you dumbass lizard'" The hybrid joked.

"I don't hire dumbasses for this organization" Black Hat grumbled, "So you aren't one"

Her eyes widened, was he..trying to comfort her?
"Um..thanks?"

the eldritch looked to the side, "No problem.."

There was a moment of silence before Demencia looked up at him with pleading eyes, "Can I stay with you for a bit?"

He was going to give her a dry 'no' but then his eye flickered to the patch on her face, and he remembered the cause of it.
"Fine.. just—don't be annoying"

She nodded and began to head for his office until she stopped, "oh wait I forgot!" The hybrid went back into her room.

"What could you have possibly.....forgotten.."
He trailed off.

Demencia had come out with her drawings and a bunch of crayons.
"I feel like drawing today.." She looked down ashamed.

They headed for his office and soon she sat right next to him and picked up a crayon. Black Hat looked over at her paper to see what she was drawing.

It was one of Black Hat sitting on a throne with Rose, Vilgax, and Flug surrounding him with hearts. At the end of the paper was a crying Demencia with a broken heart.

"What is that!?" The eldritch looked in shock.

Demencia bit her lip, "um..a drawing?"

"No! I meant—UGH!!" The eldritch looked to the side with a blush. "Why don't you do something like your other drawings?"

"But.. those were of us. Together" She tilted her head.

"Yes I'm aware"

The hybrid frowned, "Didn't that upset you?"

Black Hat's eye widened at the hidden meaning of the question and before he could answer the door opened.

There stood Rose Thornfire.

"Master, may I speak with you please?" The maid looked at Demencia with a seething hatred.

"Not now Rose" Black Hat waved his hand to dismiss her.

"But master, please!"

"I'll make it up to you later" He said, sending her a look.

Demencia blinked. Make it up to her how? She looked back down at her drawing and continued.

Rose smiled and left, Black Hat meanwhile looked back down at Demencia and saw that she was trying to hide her face with her bangs.

It went on like that.

For god knows how many hours it just went on.

"Do you still have that stupid little puppet?" The eldritch asked, for some reason feeling the need to break the silence.

"Yeah" She responded, "Why?"

"No reason.."

He saw her set the drawing of her heartbreak aside and began to work on finishing the one where they were getting married.

Though he would never admit it, Black Hat constantly looked over at the drawing to see her progress.

The hybrid suddenly felt an odd sense of weakness wash over her. Setting down her crayon, she lay her head down on the table and slowly fell asleep.

Black Hat stared for a moment before materializing a blanket and draping it over her.
It was fine. Assassins needed rest right? He wasn't attached...

He headed for the door when he suddenly heard whispers from the other side.

"What do you think they're doing?"
Vilgax.

"It's so...quiet. Since when is Jefecito quiet?"
Flug.

"Broooooooo, braw bro"
5.0.5 without a doubt.

So the eldritch decided to have some fun.
"Oh Demenciaaa~" He sang.

"Hm?" She moaned softly as she woke up.

The whispers quieted.

"Why don't you take a look at this~~?" Black Hat purred before materializing outside the office shapeshifted as Rose. Slowly, he formed a large monster-like mouth on her face, claws unsheathed and buzzsaws from her back.
"WHAT ARE YOU BLOODY MAGGOTS DOING HERE!?"

They all screamed and fell inside the office.

"I KNEW IT!!! I KNEW SHE WAS A DEMON!!" Flug screeched, pointed a shaking hand at 'Rose'.

It took only two seconds for Demencia to realize what was going on and she began to laugh.

The three victims looked at her with confusion before seeing Black Hat turn back into his usual form.

"I really shouldn't be surprised" Vilgax sighed.

"HA! Damn right" The eldritch continued to taunt the three—now two shivering victims.

While that was going on, Vilgax noticed the lizard girl by his desk, oddly silent, and still drawing.
"What is she doing here?"

Black Hat turned to him, "She's my assassin, and she's just been attacked" he looked around the room as if trying to find an excuse, "I'm..using her as bait" he whispered only quietly enough for the alien alone to hear.

"Riiiight" Vilgax raised a brow, or what could be assumed to be one.

There was a sudden 'BANG' from outside.

"DEMENCIA!! IF YOU'RE IN THERE I WISH TO BATTLE YOU! I WILL TAKE DOWN YOUR EVIL ONCE AND FOR ALL"

A female voice, a young one. Somewhere in her twenties perhaps, Black Hat calculated.
He turned to his desk only to find her gone. A drop of the strange black substance was more than enough evidence of what happened.
No no NO!! Had she heard his conversation? That hero must have driven her over the edge..

And after pushing back the curtains, without a doubt, there she was.

Ready to face off one of the world's most beloved superheroes

Casanova.