Chapter 19

4 Years Later

Maddie's POV

It's crazy that Caroline is already five and Allison is already four. They are so close. It's so precious to watch them together. They love each other so much. Caroline is coming over to our house today while Bella works. She looks so much like Bella. She has shoulder length light brown hair and deep brown eyes. Allison, however, her hair is a little longer and is blonde, like Caleb's, with blue eyes. Everyone says she looks like me.

"Sissy is coming?" Allison asks me, when she's at the bottom of the stairs.

"She is!" I smile at her. She comes over and sits on my lap on the couch. She lays her head on my shoulder and I rub her head, "I'm glad you two are seeing each other so much. You're going to miss her next week, aren't you?"

She nods, "I don't want her to go to school."

I kiss the top of her head, "I know, baby. But you'll be going next year and you'll get to see her everyday."

"Mhm," she hums softly, "when is daddy coming home?"

"He'll be here in a few minutes, he-"

I'm cut off when the doorbell rings. Allison sits up quickly.

I smile at her, "Caroline's here."

"Yes!" She cheers.

She follows me to the door. I open it and see Bella standing with Caroline.

"Sissy!" Allison says, going over and hugging her sister.

"I missed you, Allie!" Caroline giggles.

"I missed you!"

Bella smiles at them, "How are you today, Allison?"

"Good," she smiles.

"How are you?" Bella then asks me.

"I'm good, how are you?"

"I'm okay," she nods, "Well, Caleb said something about taking her school shopping today because I don't know if I'll have the chance to before school starts."

"Oh, yeah, he said something about it," I say.

"So, here is her list and some money," Bella says, handing it to me.

"Okay. But wait, I.. I can get it," I say, holding out the money.

"No, Maddie. Thank you, but it's fine," she smiles.

Before I can respond, she gives Caroline a kiss on her head before telling her that she loves her, and then saying bye to Allison and I. The girls go back into the house and I follow them.

"Your room or mine?" Caroline asks Allison.

"Mine!" She answers, cheerfully.

"Oh! Hi, Maddie!" Caroline says.

"Hi, sweetie," I smile, and then they go upstairs together.

I sit back down on the couch and the door opens. I look over and smile at Caleb.

"Hey," he says.

"Hi," I say back, "Caroline's here."

He sighs, "I was supposed to take her school shopping."

"Yeah," I say, "you can't?"

He shakes his head, "I don't think I can today."

"I'll take her," I smile.

He smiles at me, "You'd do that?"

"Of course, Caleb. Maybe after, I can take her and Allison to get something to eat."

I stand up and walk over to him, and he gives me a kiss, "You're amazing."

"You are," I smile.

"Daddy?" Caroline says.

"Daddy's home!" Allison cheers, and they come downstairs.

"Hey, pretty girls," Caleb says, giving them both a hug at the same time.

"I missed you, daddy," Caroline says.

"Me too," Allison giggles.

"I missed you both more," he smiles.

"Daddy, aren't you taking me school shopping?" Caroline tilts her head to the side.

Caleb looks at her for a moment, "I'm sorry, baby. I don't think I can today."

"Okay," she says softly.

"But Maddie is taking you," Caleb says.

Caroline's eyes light up, "Really?"

"Yes," I speak up, "And Allison will come with us. And maybe we can go get something to eat if you want."

"Yes!" Caroline smiles.

"Yay!" Allison cheers.

"I have to get back to work," Caleb tells me.

"Okay," I tell him.

"I love you."

"I love you, more."

"I love you, girls," he tells his daughters.

"Love you," they say in unison.

Then he leaves, and shortly after, we leave as well. After we have Caroline's things for school, the girls decide that they want to eat at Burger King, and that they both want kids meals. I open the door for them, and they walk in. I tell them they can go over to the booth a few feet away so I can keep an eye on them. I wait for the food, looking over at them every few seconds. They are sitting beside each other in the booth, their backs towards me.

I get the tray when our food is ready and go over towards them. My heart breaks a little when I hear their conversation.

"Daddy loves your mommy. Why doesn't daddy love my mommy?" Caroline asks.

"I am sure that he does," Allison tells her.

"No, he doesn't. Him and mommy broke up. I wonder why they did."

When I walk forward a little more, Caroline sees me and gives Allison a quiet 'Shh'. I set the tray down in front of them and sit across from them. I look at Caroline and she gives me a small smile. I smile back as they take their food at start eating.