Chapter 35

Maddie's POV

"I just- I mean, everything looks perfectly fine," the doctor says, confused.

I pray silently, praying that this isn't happening again. It can't be happening again.

"I don't understand," Caleb shakes his head.

"Please God," I say, silently, tears spilling my eyes again, "don't let this be happening again."

I feel the doctor keep moving the instrument around, and I keep praying to myself. Caleb looks down at me, worry in his eyes. I shake my head at him. It's happened again. I know it has. I start crying a little harder, and Caleb puts his forehead against mine as I see a stray tear go down his cheek.

Thump, thump, thump, thump.

My eyes light up, and Caleb instantly looks back at the screen.

"That's-" Caleb starts, then looks back to me with a huge smile on his face.

"Oh my gosh," I smile widely, "thank you God."

"Playing a little hide and seek," the doctor laughs, "there's a strong heartbeat."

Allison starts to wake up, and looks over at us. She looks confused.

"Come here, baby," I smile at her.

She comes over and furrows her little eyebrows, "what is that?"

"That's your little brother or sister," Caleb tells her, "and that noise you hear is his or her's heartbeat."

"Really?" She gasps.

"Yes," I smile.

She smiles widely at it, "that is so cool!"

"It is, isn't it?" The doctor smiles at her.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" Allison asks.

"We can't tell quite yet," Caleb answers her.

"Well, when will it get here?" Allison giggles.

"Well," the doctor looks back at the screen, and then at me, "it looks like you're about 7 weeks."

"What's that mean?" Allison asks.

"When was your last period?" The doctor asks me, quietly.

"September 25th," I answer.

After a moment, the doctor looks at Allison, "your little brother or sister will be here in July."

Allison shrugs, "I don't know when that is."

The doctor looks back at me and smiles, "July 2nd. If nothing happened, the only thing I can think of is that this happened from stress. Could that be the case?"

I sigh, "most definitely."

"Try not to get stressed. It's not good for either one of you," she says.

After we leave, we take Allison to get an ice cream.

"What kind do you want?" Caleb asks her.

"Chocolate!" She giggles.

"Really? You always get vanilla!" Caleb laughs.

"I know. But chocolate is sissy's favorite. I want to get a chocolate ice cream for her!"

Caleb and I look at each other, and Caleb nods, "okay."

He goes to get her ice cream, and I walk Allison over to a picnic bench.

"You did not want an ice cream?" Allison asks.

"Nope. I'm okay, baby."

"I can not wait for my little sibling!" She squeals.

"I know! Me either," I smile at her.

"I hope it is a little brother," she says.

"What if it's a little sister?" I ask.

She shrugs, "I would still be happy. But I have a sissy, I do not have a brother! Can't you pick what it is?"

I laugh, "No, precious. I can't."

"Okay," she giggles.

Caleb comes back with her ice cream, and we sit at the table together while she eats it.

"What'd you think about seeing your sibling today?" Caleb asks her.

"I loved it," she answers, "I will be a good big sister."

"You sure will," Caleb smiles.

"Did you see me on the screen like that, too?" She asks.

"Yes, we did," I smile at her, "I still have the pictures at home."

"Really? Can I see them?" Her eyes light up.

"Of course."

Caleb drops us off at home before going to the studio. Allison sits on the couch, waiting impatiently for me to get the photo album out. Finally, I find it.

"Here we go," I smile at her.

"Yay!" She cheers. I open it, and the first pictures are just pictures of Caleb and I. She smiles down at them, "you and daddy!"

"Yup," I smile, and turn the page.

She gasps when she sees pictures that we took after we got engaged, "that is a very pretty ring!"

"I know," I look at the photo, "that's after daddy asked me to marry him."

"Oooo!" She squeals. I turn the page again, and there are pictures from our wedding, "that's where you and daddy got married!"

"It sure is," I giggle.

"You look so pretty in your dress, mommy!"

"Thank you, baby," I tell her.

She points at the wedding picture where Caleb and I are kissing, "ew," she giggles.

"You're silly," I tell her, and she laughs.

I turn a few more pages, making it through the wedding pictures, and then it's Allison's ultrasounds.

She gasps, "is that me?"

"It sure is," I tell her.

"Woah," she looks at the pictures closely.

"Mommy and daddy were so happy to see you," I kiss her head.

I turn the page again, and it's pictures of Caleb and I in the hospital, holding little Allison for the first time.

"It's me!"

"Yes," I smile at the pictures, "that was the best day of my life. You're growing up too fast."

"I can't help it!"

"I know!" I laugh, closing the photo album, "I just wish I could keep you little."

"You have to let me grow up," she giggles, "just like you said in your song!"