Chapter 33

Maddie's POV

This past week, instead of sadness, Caleb has been showing more anger. Today, I'm going to Caroline's school to get her things. I go downstairs and see Caleb staring out the kitchen window, hands in his pockets.

"Caleb," I say.

He turns around quickly, "I'm going to find the sick person that did this. They didn't even stop when they hit her."

"We'll-" I start.

"I'm going to find them and they are going to pay."

"Caleb!"

"They took her from us," he grits, going into the living room.

I follow him, and he starts to turn back around. Not realizing how close I am to him, he accidentally hits me. I put my hand on the side of my face, and he puts his hands on both sides of my arms.

"Baby, I'm so so sorry," he apologizes.

"No, Caleb. Stop, it was an accident," I put my hands on the sides on his face.

He looks at my cheek, which I'm sure is red, considering the slight burning feeling I feel. He rubs the back of his hand against it, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hit you."

"Caleb, I know," I take both of his wrists, "I know you would never hurt me on purpose."

He gives me a kiss, "I love you."

"I love you," I tell him, "but we're almost out of food."

"I'll go to the store," he says.

"No, I'll go," I give him a small smile.

After my run to the grocery store, I get home, but instead of seeing Caleb's car, I see Catie's. I check my phone and see that he texted me, but I missed it.

'Went for a run. Needed some time to myself.'

I shut my phone off, putting it in my pocket. I get the groceries out of the car and make my way inside. As soon as I walk in I hear a high pitched scream.

"Allie, listen to me," I hear Catie say.

I set the groceries down, and I run over to Allison. She is crying and hitting her head up against the corner of the wall. I pull her away from the wall.

"Baby, don't do that," I rub her forehead, "don't do that."

"I want sissy," she cries.

Eventually, after Catie and I talk to her, she calms down and goes back to her room.

"That scared me," I say.

"Me too," Catie says, "she's only four and she's doing stuff like this."

"I know," I shake my head, "that's not the first time."

"Really?" Catie asks.

I sigh, "I think it's time."

"Therapist?"

"I think she needs one," I say, sadly.

Catie leaves, and I go upstairs to find Allison, sitting on her bed, crying.

"Baby, you can't keep doing that to yourself," I say.

"Sissy was hurt so I want to hurt, too," she says.

I'm shocked when she says that to me. I kneel in front of her, "Baby, you didn't hurt her."

"But I tried to get her to stay inside of the gym. If I kept her inside she would not be gone," she cries.

She is far too little to be feeling like this or thinking these things. Now I know, she most definitely needs a therapist. After a long talk with her, I hear the door open. I go back downstairs and find Caleb. I go over to him, wiping my eyes.

"Maddie?" Caleb says.

"Caleb, we need to talk," I tell him.

"Okay?"

"Allison really needs a therapist," I say softly.

"What happened?"

"She was hitting her head again," I wipe my eyes, "I told her she needed to stop, and she told me that she wanted to hurt because her sister was hurt. And that she tried to keep her in the gym, and if she could have then Caroline would still be here."

"We'll get her one," Caleb nods.

A few hours later, I go to the school to pick up Caroline's things. When I go into the office, they have everything already in a box for me.

"Thank you," I say softly.

"We are deeply sorry for your loss," the lady says.

I don't say anything. I turn around and start to leave, but I feel a little tug on my pants. I look down and see a cute little girl. I recognize her. Caroline would always run over to her when she got to school.

"Hi, sweetie," I smile down at her.

"Aren't you Caroline's mommy?" She asks.

I look at her for a moment before setting the box down on the floor, "Yes. What's your name?"

"Julia," she answers, shyly.

"That's a very pretty name," I smile at her.

"Thank you," she smiles back, "I am Caroline's best friend."

"Wow," I kneel in front of her, "I remember seeing you two together."

"Yes," she smiles, "what are you doing with Caroline's stuff? That is the stuff she needs for school," she points at the box. I stare at her, unable to think of what to say. After a moment, she begins to stare back, and then thankfully says something else, "the last time I saw her was at the Halloween party."

"Yeah," I say.

"I remember when she chased a little dog outside," she says, "I ran outside with her."

"You did?" I ask.

"Mhm," she nods, "I saw her running towards the road and I tried to get her to come back. Mommy always told me not to get close to the road."

"Then what happened?" I ask, curiously.

"She got to the other side of the road, but was still close to the road," she raises her little eyebrows, "and then I saw a car go by, and then I could not see Caroline anymore."

And then I remember that Caleb found Caroline behind the bush. That is why Julia couldn't see her.

"Okay," I say softly, "do you remember what color the car was?"

"It was dark, but there was a streetlight," she looks up at me, "so I could see that it was a black car! It was not little but it was not big."

"Thank you for telling me, sweetie," I tell her.

"I know who's car it was," she whispers.

I look at her confused, "you do?"

"Yes. I saw the stickers on the back window, so that is how I know," she whispers again.

"Who's car was it, baby?" I ask her.

She nervously looks at the floor, putting her hands behind her back, then looks back up at me, "I don't know if I should say."

"You can tell me, sweetie," I smile at her.

"It was my uncle Jace's."