Chapter 31

Caleb's POV

"Daddy! Those are her wings!" Allison points.

"I know, baby," I tell her, "here, let's get you in the car."

She gets in the car, and I lock the door. I go over and look both ways before crossing to the other side of the road. I quickly go to where her wings are, which is beside of a little bush. And then I see her foot and the bottom of her leg, which has blood on it. I move closer and then I see my sweet little Caroline. Her eyes are shut, and she is taking short breaths.

I pull my phone out quickly and call an ambulance. When I hang up, she barely opens her eyes.

"Daddy," she says, weakly.

"It's going to be okay, sweetie," I say, trying to stay calm, "you chased a little dog out here?"

"Mhm," she responds, closing her eyes again.

"Try to keep your eyes open," I tell her, "did a car hit you?"

"Yes," she answers, softly.

Finally, the ambulance comes. I tell them that she was hit by a car, and they put her onto the ambulance. I quickly go back to my car and get in.

"Did you find sissy?" She asks.

I turn the key in the ignition and follow the ambulance. I take my phone and call Maddie.

"Caleb? Is everything okay?" She answers.

"No," I say, nervously, "Caroline's going to the hospital."

"What? What happened?"

"She got hit by a car. She wasn't breathing well," I say, trying not to cry.

She hangs up, and I assume she is coming to meet me at the hospital.

"What? Sissy got hit by a car?" Allison asks.

"Allie..."

"No," she starts crying.

And then we are at the hospital.

Maddie's POV

I rush to my car. When I get in, I start to pull out, and I call Catie.

"Hi!" She answers, happily.

"Catie, I'm going to need you to go to the hospital and get Allison."

"What? The hospital?"

"Caroline got hit by a car," I start crying.

"Oh my gosh, I'm going now."

Finally, I'm at the hospital. Catie is pulling in just as I'm getting out of the car. She quickly gets out and we walk in together. I find Caleb, and he's crying. Allison is crying beside of him.

"Allie?" Catie kneels in front of her, "you're going to come with me, okay?"

"No," she cries, "I want to see my sissy. I am worried about my sissy."

"I know, cutie. I am, too. But just for right now we have to go, okay?"

Caleb stays silent, and I go over and sit beside of him, running my hand up and down his arm.

"Okay," Allison says, quietly.

Catie gives us a sympathetic look, and then leaves with Allison. I go to the bathroom, and when I come out, I don't see Caleb anymore. I walk around a little bit, and see Caleb in one of the rooms. I look at him through the window. He is talking to the doctor, and when the doctor walks out, I quickly go in and run over to Caleb. I have never seen him cry like this.

"Caleb, it's going to be okay. We have to believe that it's going to be okay," I say, starting to cry. He tries to speak, but he can't. I feel my heart ripping into a million pieces. I squeeze his arm, "We can't lose another baby. We're not going to lose another baby."

He looks deep into my eyes, and I feel like I'm going to pass out when he says something I wasn't expecting.

"We just did."