CHAPTER SEVEN: SHOCK

"Good morning, Mom," Marinette says as she enters the kitchen, giving her mother a kiss on the cheek.

     "Good morning sweetie," Sabine says with an affectionate smile. "Your father and I were wondering if you were ever going to wake up!"

     Marinette thinks back to the night before, and how late it was before she and Cat Noir finally captured the Akuma. "Yeah, well, I guess a night with friends took it out of me," she says with a nervous laugh. She then grabs a pastry, and begins to run out of the house.

     "Where are you going in such a hurry?" Sabine asks.

     "I've got plans with Alya," Marinette replies. But before she can head out the door, she spots what is on the TV. And what she sees completely shocks her.

     "It's official, Paris!" She sees Chloe announce. "I, Chloe Bourgeois, am dating Adrien Agreste." Then the last thing in the world she ever expected happens... Chloe kisses Adrien, right on television!

     Marinette's entire body goes numb and she is unable to move. She covers her mouth in surprise, and tears begin to well up in her eyes.

     "Marinette, are you okay?" Her mother asks.

     But she isn't able to reply. Mustering all the strength she has, she rushes back up the stairs to her room, sobbing uncontrollably.

     "Marinette!" Sabine calls after her daughter, utterly confused.

     In her room, Marinette throws herself onto her bed and plants her face in her pillow. Her sobs wrack her body as her tears flow freely.

     "Come on Marinette, there must be some sort of misunderstanding," Tikki says, coming out from Marinette's purse.

     "You heard Chloe! She and Adrien are officially dating..." Marinette is barely discernible between sobs. "Alya was right, Tikki. I waited too long to tell him how I feel."

     "But you've seen how Adrien acts around Chloe," Tikki says. "He would never actually want to date her."

     "It doesn't matter now," Marinette says, wiping her eyes. "I'm sure all of Paris has seen that interview with Chloe."

     Unsure of anything else to say, and unsure if anything she said would help anyway, Tikki just sits with Marinette as the heartbroken girl continues to sob.

"There you have it Paris," The news reporter says into the camera. "The city's top Sweetheart and Heartthrob are now officially an item!" She gives the 'cut' sign, and the cameras go off.

     Adrien immediately shoves Chloe away. "What do you think you're doing?" He says angrily.

     Chloe ignores his question. "Isn't this so exciting, Adrien? You and me, finally together. It was meant to be!" She tries to place her hands on his shoulders, but he backs away.

     "This isn't right, none of this is right!" He shouts.

     "Adrikins, calm down–" Chloe starts to say, but he interrupts her.

     "Stop calling me that. We are not dating. I'm not your boyfriend!"

     "But, my daddy told me..."

     Adrien doesn't even hear the end of her sentence. He runs out of the hotel, and stops right in front of Nathalie.

     "How could you do this to me?" He asks as tears form in his eyes. "How could you let my father do this to me?"

     "Adrien, it's really for the best," Nathalie says.

      Adrien shakes his head. Instead of getting into the car, he takes off running down the sidewalk.

     "Adrien, where are you going?" Nathalie shouts after him. But he doesn't reply. Adrien's bodyguard begins to run after him, but Nathalie stops him. "No, he needs time to think."

Adrien runs as fast as he can, with no idea where he is heading. He just runs and runs, until he finally arrives at a park. The same park he has modeled in a hundred times. The same park where Ladybug yelled at Lila. The same park that's across the street from the bakery that Marinette's parents own.

     "What are we doing here?" Plagg asks, looking concerned.

     "I don't know, this is just the first place I thought of," Adrien replies.

     Plagg sits on Adrien's shoulder and pats it comfortingly. "What happened back there was really uncool, but try to make the most of it."

     "How am I supposed to make the most of something like this?" Adrien says.

     Plagg sighs. "Sorry kid, but I've got nothing."