Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

At two p.m. Patrick called her to remind her about the carnival and she told him she remembered and was just about to jump into the shower. After the call she got into the shower, shaved her mini almost invisible moustache, shaved her legs and armpits and washed her hair. She got out and wore a bright yellow chiffon button up shirt that she didn't button all the way up showing her cleavage with black high waisted shorts and black Vans. She then did her makeup bolder than she had in a very long time, she wore orange and yellow eyeshadow that looked amazing on her with a nude lip and a fake nose ring on her nose, she wore hoop ear rings and packed her hair into a messy bun leaving two thick curly strands falling across her face. She was in high spirits and wanted to look like it, she even forgot she was fired the day before. By the time she was done getting dressed, Patrick was at her door. Patrick was black, six feet tall and sometimes had to bow when crossing some shorter than norm doors, he was quite slender but muscular, he was very attractive, had beautiful facial features with plum skin coloured lips. He knocked at her door and walked her to the car, he told her she looked beautiful and showed appreciation for her beauty in his eyes. They got to know more about each other and she found out he is quite wealthy and is an accountant and a business man, he was born in America, but his family are originally Jamaican, he is an only child and is twenty-seven years old. They went on rides, ate loads of popcorn because they both loved it and danced to no music on the street, it was the kind of scene you see in movies, they were on the first day of the honey moon stage.

After the carnival, they went back to his place and had sex, Daya felt no guilt from that and had always considered herself sexually liberal. He dropped her home Sunday evening after they spent the weekend together dancing, singing and talking. Daya knew she liked him and really enjoyed the last weekend, it was an escape from reality. When she was home alone, she remembered she had no job and was mad at Butch. She turned on her phone for the first time since Saturday, she saw about fifteen missed calls from Butch, three from Stephanie and one each from her former co-workers. She also got some text messages from Butch asking if she was ok and telling her he was worried, she ignored them and called everyone else that called her and assured them she was alright and sounded as happy as she was. She put down her phone and read a book, watched some television and ate some French toast at eleven p.m.. At twelve a.m., she heard a loud bang on her door, she was frightened before hearing Butch's voice, he sounded sad and worried, she hesitated before opening the door. He hugged her immediately before noticing her resistance, he apologized and asked her if he could come in, she grudgingly agreed, he came in and sat on her couch. He then said

"Daya I know you are mad at me and you deserve to be, and I am deeply sorry, I was truly worried, and I actually thought something was wrong after you ignored me for two whole days, I was very stupid for letting you go out at two a.m. with nowhere to go. Please forgive me so I could be sane again"

She looked at him silently and thought to herself that she had never seen him this vulnerable and him sending her away allowed her to meet Patrick and she was grateful for that. She then said

"I completely agree you were truly and deeply stupid for letting me go out alone that late and I could have died, but I didn't and actually had an amazing weekend thanks to you, I forgive you and I hope you and Ariana are ok"

He looked at her and noticed she did seem happier and looked radiant even though she had lost her job, he then said

"I feel very hurt that the one weekend we had no contact you seemed to have had an amazing weekend, and me and Ariana are cool, we made up the next day because she apologized for being irrational but let's not talk about her, what have you been up to? Wait omg you had sex, didn't you? Oh, Daya is now having drunken one night stands I see.........", she interrupted him by saying

"it wasn't a one-night stand and we may actually have something thanks to you leaving me to get killed"

"oh, you guys are a "we" now, hasn't it been like two days since I saw you or was I frozen in time or something?" he responded,

"His name is Patrick and I met him at a club........." she was interrupted by Butch saying dramatically and almost angrily

"oooooooh, we are clubbing now, please am I in the wrong house or something, you must have had a wild weekend while I was worried sick about your ass"

She noticed his tone and responded annoyed "well, I had nowhere to go and I wasn't going to die on the street and you are here to apologize and not make things worse"

"why didn't you answer my calls?" he asked,

"cause my phone was dead" she responded,

"for the whole weekend?" he said, becoming angry,

"yes, and I didn't want you to ruin my amazing weekend" she said, annoyed,

"oooooooh, I see what is going on here, you think you are in love and don't need me anymore" he said angrily.

"well that is how you have been behaving for the past three months so stop pretending to care suddenly, go see Ariana, she is probably checking her tracking device to know where you are and we both know she won't be happy to see you here" she said angrily

"when he breaks your heart, don't come looking for me" he said before slamming the door and leaving.

She laid in bed feeling terrible about what had just happened, but she was too proud to call or text him. Shortly after she got a call from Patrick, she pretended to be happy and as they talked for a while, she actually became happy.

The next day she decided to search for her second job in four months, she was very upset about it and became even angrier thinking about Fred. She applied for jobs that didn't need much commitment like barista jobs, sales assistant jobs, waitress jobs and maid jobs. After applying for about six jobs, she had lunch with Patrick during his lunch break, he told her after lunch before he left that he liked her and considered her very interesting and would like to see where this would lead them. Since she had no activities planned for the day, she decided to go for a walk and see New York city, she wrote down all the things she saw and drew a bit, almost forgetting her troubles. She had a good peaceful day.

Butch got home after leaving Daya's house, he was upset by the way he reacted but also upset by her behaviour, he wanted to call to apologise but didn't because he always did, Daya never apologizes first unless she believes she was truly wrong. He sat on his bed annoyed and tried to think of something else before getting a call from Ariana, he ignored it because he knew she would notice his annoyance and he didn't want to explain why he was annoyed. She called three more times before sending him a message that read "Butch what the hell is going on?", he read it and ignored it. She could tell he had read it and responded, "Butch why are you ignoring me, It's Daya right?", he ignored her again then she got angry and sent him a message saying that she was breaking up with him because all he cared about was Daya. He wanted to respond but he was honestly tired of the relationship and considered her very needed and clingy. He wasn't even upset about the breakup because he was anticipating it, he was still very upset at Daya. Before he went to sleep, he thought of Daya and remembered her telling him because you do not understand someone's insecurities doesn't mean they are unreasonable, he wanted to call Ariana but decided her insecurities were indeed unreasonable because he had explained his relationship with Daya to her a million times. He decided the relationship was truly over, although he liked her, he knew he didn't love her.