25-Risking life for hope

“Here is the best portrait of her that I could uncover” Joseph smiled handing me a huge painting.

It was a wonderful portrait of a very beautiful woman. She had fox like hazel eyes that seemed to glare at you with wisdom, her chocolate hair cascading down her shoulders like twisting wines. Her cherry red lips stretched into a decent smile, she sat with her hand under her chin, and on her hair sat a silver crown. The color of her hair and her glowing skin resembled very much to the woman in the painting that said Moorlyn.

So it was confirmed the woman whose back was turned in that mysterious piece of work was indeed Claudia Thornflower. And the horse that she speaks of must be a kelpie but I still need evidence to back up my guess.  

“Joseph do you know any Kelpies?” I asked out of sheer curiosity.

His expression turned grave and his eyes not meeting mine. “Milady…why do you require information regarding such a foul creature?” he asked seriously.

“I just do and I want you to tell me all about any kelpies you know” I said firmly.

“I do not know information beyond my experience and I have certainly never been out so many times. So I would have to consult the keeper of the garden.”

“There is a keeper of the garden too?” I asked surprised.

“Yes Milady I have told you that there are many many keepers that ensure the working of many things. The keeper of the garden is Harlowe, she keeps the roses and the greens all in shape. She’s very shy but she tends to travel a lot” He told me.

“Take me to her right now.” I demanded excitedly.

And so me, Thea and Joseph descended down the stairs into the florid garden to meet the mystery keeper.

We took special care and peeked in the kitchen to see where Mrs Bumble was. Thankfully she was in her own room. I looked everywhere and on ever window to make sure no one was looking.

“Harlow Thornflower, The princess seeks your assistance” Joseph spoke as if addressing a crowd.

“Which princess do you speak of dear Joseph?” A thin voice asked.

“Princess Violet Thornflower” 

Hearing Joseph’s soft voice didn’t bring out any humanly figure but a black cat that I was previously petting. I remember Rex saying he didn’t own her but she used to like him just the same. It was due to her that Sparks started calling me Cat-zilla.

“Eh…a cat?” Thea recoiled.

“This is Harlowe ladies. She is the best shape shifter I have seen” and with Joseph’s words of wisdom the dark cat morphed into a small structured girl. Her cat-like eyes gleamed a mixture of emerald green and sapphire yellow.

“Hello princess and child of the sea, how may I tend to your needs” her mellow voice sounded like a cool breeze in the summer air.

“Hi” me and Thea greeted in unison.

“We uh want to know if you know any kelpies.” I said.

“Oh you mean those adorable little pooches?” she grinned.

“No, no the shape-shifting horse” I blurted.

“Oh forgive me for misinterpreting. So it is a Kelpie that you seek, well I have seen quite a few here. There is this horrid one that lives in the Triton river the locals call him Brute, he drowned many men.” She shook her head in dismay “Then there is Blue who lives near the banks of Triton she minds her own business. I also know…this dark colored mare she used to come here too. Quite a friend of one of the Queens but it chose to return to her home for unknown reasons. Nobody knew that she wasn’t a horse except Queen Cordelia who kept it a secret. Her name was Moorlyn I think.” She said fixing her black hair.