19- Oh I remember him so well.

“Pull yourself together woman” Sparks glanced at Marceline wrinkling her nose; agitated.

“I agree with Spark; you have to lead us to Rex! There is no other person that I’ve seen stronger than you! How many people in their right mind have devoted their lives to hunting Reapers? Huh? NONE! So you might as well take lead Marceline and Madeline, because we have no one else to depend on now” I exhaled, speaking my mind at last.

“…The Princess is right! There is no way we can afford to give up now! It’s pointless.” Marceline huffed and stuck out her chest, making punching gestures.

“I agree, Violet is right…but let’s have a quick review of our situation. We are in an invisible car, in an enemy territory, armed with dart guns only, supplied with magic boxes and besides that we have got nothing but two mer-kids who don’t know how to use their own abilities” Madeline shuddered scornfully.

“Sounds like chaos” Sparks slouched dolefully.

“No you forgot something! My mother! She said she would come along once we needed her!” Twinkle exclaimed, hope fluttering in her twinkling eyes.

“But she isn’t here now is she?” Marceline stared out the window skeptically.

“Think again lass”

Marceline glanced to her right bewildered. Short hair slick with gel, hands on her combat trousers; adorned with peculiar little bags stood Valerie herself.

“Mom!” Sparks and Twinkle shrieked in unison.

“Yes my little monsters?” Valerie chuckled swinging open the doors

“I’ve never been so glad to see your sweet face until this moment!” Marceline embraced her awkwardly.

“Yes, Miss Marceline I believe we share mutual feelings” Valerie grinned.

“Oh Valerie we’re so much in need of your help!” I jumped out of the car.

“I understand you are that is precisely why I have been plotting some plans, myself”

Valerie took off an emerald green pouch from her belt. Untying the crimson ribbon with grim determination she pulled out what seemed like a mask. Thrusting the queer looking object in my hand she pursed her lips.

“Is that a mask?” Madeline inquired tilting her head.

“Indeed it is but a very special one”

“…but how can something that big come out of that tiny pouch?” Marceline scratched her scalp bewildered.

“Are you not yet familiar with my ways hunter? I am a creature of magic after all” Valerie winked pulling out four more masks from the small bag.

I stared at the carefully crafted mask in my hand; it was ebony black with intricate swirls of olive green paint or so it felt like paint. As I fiddled with its strings the greens glistened beautifully. However no matter how pretty the mask appeared it left an odd feeling in my heart. Like as if it was made from darkness.

“What are these for Valerie?” I questioned not taking my eyes of the mask.

Smirking as if she understood my skeptical thoughts regarding the mask Valerie explained the reason of bringing them in.

“These are called Vermin Dominos they simply turn their wearers into shadows in order to hide them”

“They turn us into shadows?” I scrunched my nose.

“Precisely love, in fact they were crafted by Rex’s father himself” Valerie smiled caressing my cheeks with her icy touch.

“I never knew his father was a magical craftsman” I frowned agitated. For what hurtful reason does Rex hide all his secrets? I mean I told him all of my past. I was so deliberately honest. My thoughts were stung with irritation.