20-Disappointment

Wavering ever so lightly I tried coming back to my senses, I needed to find Rex. He was the sole reason I came. I can’t lose hope now. And with those words of wisdom I twisted the door knob open. Hovering in the musky corridor I wondered where Rex could be. The mission was too stupid to ever achieve success. But we needed to put something into action, in order to taste the truth and avoid the regret of saying “we could have done something”

A sudden creak of the floorboards startled me gravely. I cautiously peeked over my shoulder to see who it was. A distant murmuring reached my ears but no people came to my view. My brow perspired and my veins tensed. What would I do if someone did come?

“…These will be your resting quarter’s lad” a muffled voice came to my ear.

That sounds like Claudius!

I drew closer to the supposed door. Trying hard not to be heard, I rested my hand on the wall trying to hear.

“If you require anything at all pull the rope and a servant will attend to your needs. If you like to talk to me I’ll be residing in the room two doors right from yours.” He spoke.

“Okay.”

“So I’ll be sending a servant to fetch you for dinner soon” Claudius informed, turned on his heel and hobbled in the direction opposite to mine. The thought of seeing Rex excited me and energy surged through me.

Desperation took hold of me and I waited for Claudius to disappear into his room before I attacked Rex. His lazy manner irritated me and goose bumps emerged on my bare arms. Where could the others be? The spilt second Claudius got outside his room; I pressed my ear against Rex’s door. No sound but his.

Pushing open the door, I burst in.

There in the middle of the worn out dusty room, stood the person I struggled so much for. I reached for the mask on my face.

Shutting the door behind me I placed a finger to my lips.

“Don’t freak out” I whispered.

“Violet?” He stared at me confused.

“What in the world were you thinking?”  I frowned at him.

“I…I” he stammered.

“You are an idiot” I walked towards him.

“You shouldn’t be here! Do you know how dangerous it is for you to be in this place?” He placed his hands on my shoulders like an adult does to a child.

“You are worth the risk” I glared at him.

“Come back with us, we need you, Sunny needs you…” I choked on my own saliva.

“I need you. Besides, I can’t find the truth about my parents without you.” I felt a sick feeling evolving in my body. I can’t lose him. Not now.

“Violet, you’ll be just fine without me. Sunny is old enough, her mother need her now. Everyone has someone to hold on to. I need to stay; I need to know my past just as much as you want to know yours.” He gazed into my eyes with a firm expression.

My head was pounding. My heart near an explosion, I couldn’t believe my ears. But I understood what he was saying. I understood it loud and clear. He’s got a past just as messed up as mine and he deserves to know just as much as I do.

“But how will you know your past in this place? It’s a den of monsters!” I shook my head.

“It’s my only chance” 

I noticed something strange in his eyes. The grey in his eyes was growing dimmer, conquered by the purple in them. They were usually much grey when he was at home.