Chapter 2

AUSTIN'S POV

"It's... just, like, really big." Alan described to me his thoughts on the universe. We laid side by side on the floor of our den, staring at the ceiling. His perfect hands illustrated in the air above our faces with descriptive motions, mapping out as big a circle he could make at that angle. "It's just... I don't even wanna think about it, that's how big it is." His voice sounded so lost, and it made me laugh a little bit.

"Come on, use your big boy words." I teased. Alan huffed.

"It's... infinite? No, that's the wrong word. Too over used." He clucked. "It's almost, like, too infinite, though, ya know?" I didn't, but I nodded anyways. "If the universe was an ocean, we would be the smallest little creatures living at the very bottom, totally unnoticed."

"I notice you." He smiled stupidly, rubbing his eyes and kissing my cheek, then stopped and stared right of into the distance. "What?" I panicked on the inside.

"I just had an existential epiphany!" He exclaimed. He looked so excited, it made me warm all over.

"Let's hear it." I mumbled, grinning.

"Metaphorically, the universe is an ocean. I mean, we're all little sea creatures, going about our normal lives." He continued, resting his left foot atop my right one. "And all the ones who feel like they don't belong here are humans in that ocean," Alan mumbled, "and they're drowning." My mind tried to process everywhere his had been in the last 20 seconds, but all I could do was stare. It was like, maybe I wasn't destined to understand everything this beautiful person beside me did and said, but I was hardwired to love it. My mind took ahold my body, and I rolled over on top of him and started kissing him with everything I had inside me. I didn't know anything at that moment, besides the fact that my lips existed solely to be pressed up against his.

"Wh-what was that for?" He gasped as we stopped to breathe. I shrugged, grinning down like the happiest guy in the world.

"I don't know. Kiss me again." I requested, but left him no time to react. Crashing our lips together again, I eliminated any amount of space between his and my own body. My hands gripped his two, pinning them beside his head, and our lips moved together like the world was going to end. Alan moaned beneath me, trying desperately to keep up with my excited, over-the-top pace. We were really getting into it, and my hands started undoing his shirt and his gripping my hair. With love swelling from my chest, I undid each little round button until there were only a few more, and moved my lips down to his neck and chest. Not a moment later, and to my intense displeasure, the doorbell rang. Alan dropped his head back to the floor, sighing.

"An incredible thought: We could not get it." I suggested. Whoever was at the door rang it again, and, begrudgingly, I rolled off of him and smoothed out my hair. He took a seat on the couch and started trying to re-button his now mostly removed shirt. Flinging the door open casually, I looked upon Jake and Alice, holding hands and smiling like they were excited.

"Hey, guys. Come on in." I smiled, inviting them inside. Jake grinned at me. I hadn't much liked him a couple years ago, but he really was good kid. Of course I was protective of Alice, but he treated her like a princess.

"Jake, why now?" Alan whined, slumped on the couch. He ran and scooped my boyfriend up, giving him a huge hug. There was a lot of giggling, and then some boyish wrestling on the ground, to which Alice and I rolled our eyes. Secretly, my heart thudded in jealousy, but it was for no other reason besides that I didn't like to watch any other person touch my Alan.

"They're such boys." She complained, walking into our kitchen and grabbing a mug. They were here fairly often, so I was pretty comfortable with them just going to get things from our cupboards. Alice and Jake knew where everything was, anyways.