Chapter 10

ALAN'S POV

Once I got to River's dorm, I knocked loudly, feeling frustrated and angry. A moment later, a girl wearing nothing but a blanket came to the door, giggling at something that was mumbled to her. This girl can't be here for River, can she?

"Hi, um, is River here?" I asked awkwardly. She shook her head.

"I think he'a on the roof or something. What a weirdo." She laughed. "Matt, where's River? His boyfriend is looking for him." She called back into the room. I didn't bother correcting her. Another muffled voice came from the slightly ajar door, and she smiled.

"Yeah, he's up there."

"Thanks." I mumbled, and walked away as quickly as I could. That was really awkward for me, but I found myself a little relieved that she wasn't with River. That would've just been even more uncomfortable.

After going up about a bajillion freakin stairs, I finally got there. The door was a little sticky, but once I actually got it open, I found my pierced friend sitting on the edge of the roof, his back to me. He heard the door, though, and turned to see me.

"Ah, my love, I knew you'd come for me." He joked, and I instantly smiled. There was just something about River that always brought my mood up.

"Sorry I missed your call." I apologized, siting beside him.

"No matter." He smiled, his feet kicking against the wall lightly. "Did you come here first?" He asked. I cringed a little.

"Um, no, actually. I went to your room. Which was a mistake." He chuckled, nodding.

"Yep. Matt totally got it on last night." He said.

"Ew." I mumbled.

"Right?" He grinned. "I've been out here for a while. Why did you drive all the way instead of just calling me back?" He asked. "Not that I don't appreciate your effort." He added, nudging our elbows together.

"Just needed to get out of the house." I shrugged. He looked over at me.

"Where's Austin?" He asked cautiously. I glared at my feet.

"Probably still in the shower." I mumbled. River placed his hand on my back comfortingly.

"Sorry, you've got a very obvious voice, A-Alan." He said. "But I don't want to press you to talk about it. Let's go do something fun instead." He suggested, taking my hand and standing up.

"Awesome. Austin never really wants to do anything fun. I think sometimes he pretends to have fun just so that I'll feel good." I ranted, allowing him to pull me back down the stairs.

"Well, we'll do something fun for real. Matt should be gone by now, I hope." He said. This was great, I'd decided. I was so sick of being seen as a kid with silly interests. We went all the way down those stairs, but ended up racing each other. By the time we got to the bottom, I was laughing so hard that my stomach hurt, and my head was dizzy. River flung the door open, and sure enough, it was empty. He let me in, but locked the door after.

"Okay, take a seat." He motioned to the floor, which had a glass table and some of those Indian sitting pillows. It was cute, I thought, and I took a seat on one of them. He sat across from me, grinning.

"What?" I asked, smiling, too. River shrugged.

"I'm glad you're here. And, I want desperately to show you a fantastic time. So we're gonna do something extra fun." He cocked his head a little, and his whole vibe had me excited.

"Okay, let's do it." I stepped into River's Excitement Circle, because everything was fun there.

"Okay, but you've gotta be cool about it." He said.