You Are The Reason || Songfic (The Complete Love Square) (Kinda Angst)

A/N: Dedicated to AshleyVinson2 and this takes place 4 years after they had gotten the miraculous. (NOT FOR THAT REASON, I DON'T WRITE THAT.)

"There goes my heart beating..."

Marinette stared at her hands, then her fingers tentatively clasping over her earrings. Something felt wrong.

Her voice shaky, she turned to her frozen kwami, "Tikki?" The dotted creature didn't move, her antennae twitching at a noise, that her ears couldn't hear. Marinette nervously bit her lip, slowly approaching her friend. Her breath hollowed in her chest, as she whispered, almost afraid of her kwami's state, "Tikki? Is everything alright?"

When she spun around, her purple eyes didn't twinkle with a low sense of joy and Marinette's heart stopped. Tikki was never sad, she thought to herself, something was really wrong. Marinette held her hand out to the red kwami, "Tikki, what's going o-"

Before another word slipped from her lips, Tikki had barreled into her face and a squeak echoed through the air, "Marinette." As she nestled into her cheek, Marinette realized Tikki wouldn't speak, she realized just how much she treasured the silence. Marinette was scared to death and as curious as her favorite cat, but she just held her dotted counterpart to her face. No questions, no answers.

It took about 10 minutes until Tikki parted and tears decorated her cheeks, "Marinette, I-I... He's coming." Marinette immediately took a battle stance, Ladybug seeping through her skin, "Then, we need to transfor-" Her kwami held up her arm, shushing her miraculous holder, "We don't need to transform. Ladybug isn't needed, Marinette is." She furrowed her eyebrows at the red creature, "But, you're in danger-" she glanced at Tikki, pausing, "-aren't you?"

Tikki smiled, a watery smile, "Just listen. Marinette Dupain-Cheng, you were an amazing Ladybug." Marinette's eyes flashed a tinge of confusion, but her kwami watched as a wave of realization smoothed over skin. So subtle, in the silence of the room. Her bright blue eyes filled with tears, "T-Tikki, n-not now... W-What about Chaton? O-Or Paris?"

Her kwami continued, "I will never forget you. I never do."

"Tikki, please!" she whispered, her voice cracking, "Y-You can't leave me like this, I-I-I have to tell Chaton. I can't..." Her kwami held her face, "He's closer than you think, okay? I'm not leaving you. I'll always be-" Tikki patted her chest, just on her heart, "-here."

Marinette's breath hitched, "P-Please, tell me who he is. I-I c-can't lose you both." Tikki sighed, "Oh Marinette, you don't understand..." A timid knock echoed through the hatch on the roof, as Marinette deflated and Tikki finished, "Ladybug and Chat Noir always find each other."

She held back a sob, as Tikki rubbed into her skin one last time, "I love you, Marinette." The bluenette swallowed down tears, "I-I love you too, T-Tikki."

For what felt like hours, she held her friend and wished it was just a terrible nightmare. It isn't real, she kept repeating, you're going to wake up soon and be Ladybug forever. But both knew it wasn't true, so she held her the slightest bit tighter. Until Tikki escaped her fingertips and swarmed around the room to a small drawer, pulling out a small box with all of her might.