chapter twenty-eight: beauty and the feast

"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."  

~Vanilla Sky

~~~~~~~~~

"Becca," Kelsey muttered, finding yet another pile of clothes stuffed in the corner of the living room.  

How did that woman manage to wear so many outfits a day?

Kelsey hauled an armful of clothes into the washing machine and blew her hair out of her face.

"How do I look?" Becca called.

Kelsey stepped into the hallway to find Becca dressed in leopard tights, a bright pink blouse, and black heels.

"Oh, wait," she said, opening the utility closet where she kept her clothes and pulling out a stylish black trench coat.

After she pulled it on, Kelsey said, "Well, that tones it down a bit. It's a little hot outside for a coat, though, isn't it?"

"It makes me look more professional."

Kelsey nodded. "Okay, then."

Becca hauled in a breath. "Alright! I'll be in my own home in no time! Those realtors won't get the best of me."

Kelsey placed her hands on Becca's shoulders. "Remember what we talked about?"

Becca nodded. "They're gonna try to make me spend a ton of money, but I need a home, not a house."

"There ya go. No more glass walls or strobe lights or pools in the shape of California."

Becca bit her lip. "A smaller pool in the shape of California?"

Kelsey rolled her eyes and laughed as Becca made her way out the door. "Just stand your ground. Today you're Becca the Businesswoman."

"Yes, ma'am!"

With that, the door slammed behind her.

Kelsey shook her head and put some detergent in the washing machine.

She turned up her music and continued dusting and mopping. It was amazing how much dirtier the house got when Becca was around. She was probably used to a maid.

Kelsey thought of Sandy and wondered what she was up to these days.

She was listening to a Disney song that came across her station when a knock sounded on the door.

Kelsey propped her mop up against the couch and stepped over the wet spots to open the door.

Ethan stood there with his hands clasped behind his back and a carefree grin on his face.

"Hey," he said.

Kelsey laughed. "Hey. What're you doing here?"

"I got bored."

"Well come on in, I have just the thing to entertain you."

He stepped inside. "Really?"

Kelsey handed him the mop. "Oh yeah."

He rolled his eyes. "You're the worst."

"Too bad, you're stuck with me now," she replied.

He sighed. "Okay, fine."