chapter twenty-five: compromise

"You had me at Hello."

Jerry Maguire

"I had to run out to get more rhinestones for my nails," Becca was explaining, "and then I remembered that I needed more setting spray for my makeup, so I had to go back to the store. Which is where I saw Mack."

She'd been talking for the past ten minutes.

"Wow," Ethan said, "I'm glad you got away."

"Oh! And Kelsey made chicken cordon bleu the other day for lunch! Did you know she could actually cook? Like, wow."

Ethan gave Kelsey and apologetic glance. "You've had to put up with her for all this time?"

"We made peace!" Becca defended.

Ethan raised his eyebrows. Kelsey shrugged.

"So, pizza?" she asked, repositioning her hands on the wheel of her car.

"I'm gluten free, remember?" Becca prompted.

"Ugh, Becca, you're such a pain," Ethan muttered, but waved Kelsey forward. "Keep going, Monte's has gluten free pizza."

"Thank you," Kelsey breathed.

She drove on for a few more minutes until she came to the gas station. The parking lot was empty, and half of the lights were off.

"Are you sure they're open?" Kelsey asked, glancing at the clock. It was almost twelve.

"Oh yeah," Ethan said.

They made their way inside. It was quiet and almost peaceful in the empty restaurant.

Anthony wandered out of the kitchen, tossing a rag over his shoulder.

"Hey, the late night crew," he said. "You always make me work extra, Glenn."

"I would say I'm sorry," Ethan replied, but shrugged.

"Ah, Miss Kelsey," he sang. "Glad to see you back!"

"Wait, you've been here before?" Becca asked.

"Uh, just once," Kelsey replied cautiously as they made their way to the table.

They sat down and sipped on the water Anthony gave them, claiming that the soda machine was out of commission for the night.

"So, they said the "Summer in Paris" premiere is going to be moved up," Becca said.

Ethan frowned. "What? We just finished shooting!"

She shrugged with one shoulder. "Yeah, well, that's what the director said." She lifted her water glass towards Ethan. "Better find a date to the red carpet." Her eyes bounced between him and Kelsey and she raised her eyebrows.

Ethan sat up and cleared his throat. "Uh, that's probably a few months away."

Becca lifted her hand to the side of her mouth and whispered loudly, "You should take her."

"I'm literally right here," Kelsey said. She took in a deep breath. She kept saying she didn't know what to do. That she could never be under the spotlight, that she could never be part of Ethan's world.

But she could compromise.

She bit her lip before turning towards Ethan. "Well? Do I need to wait for you to ask or do I get an invitation in the mail?"