Chapter 19

"Prom Plans"

Dylan’s POV:

            We were all sitting around a table at Pizza Palace. We were trying to figure out what all we would need for the road trip in a few weeks. I still couldn’t believe that Hannah went to all of the trouble to do this for me. This would be the best time of my life.

            I was just kind of sitting back watching all my friends interact. They were talking about graduation and all of their summer plans. Everyone was really excited for what was about to come for us. We had a lot to look forward to.

            “Can you believe that prom is in a week and a half,” Ally said excitedly.

            “I haven’t gotten a dress or anything,” Hannah said with a sigh.

            “Well most of us haven’t even gotten dates,” Wes said laughing.

            “You’ll find someone,” Hannah told him.

            “I don’t know. There’s a limited amount of gay people in this town,” he said with a sigh.

            “Be optimistic. I am,” Ally said.

            “Martin didn’t ask you,” Hannah asked.

            “No. He’s taking some bimbo,” Ally said as she rolled her eyes. I looked over and saw Jared looking at her thoughtfully.

            “It’ll be fine. If we don’t find dates then we can go as friends,” Hannah said optimistically.

            “You have a date though,” Wes said sending me a pointed look. I just looked down.

            “I just want us all to be happy for prom,” Hannah said changing subjects. I couldn’t tell if she was upset that I haven’t asked her yet. I just couldn’t figure out how to bring the subject up to her.

            “I’m gonna go to the bathroom,” Jared said as he got up and walked away quickly.

            “I’m gonna go see what’s up with him,” I said as I stood and followed him. When I walked into the bathroom he was standing over the sink looking at himself in the mirror. “What’s wrong with you dude?”

            “Nothing. I just needed to think,” he said as he looked over at me.

            “You’re acting weird,” I told him.

            “I like someone and I’m nervous about asking her to prom,” he said with a sigh.

            “Who,” I asked. Jared was never nervous when it came to girls.

            “Ally. I really don’t know if she’ll go for me,” he said.

            “You’ll only know if you ask,” I told him. I was a little surprised. He didn’t usually go for girls like Ally.

            “I know. But how do you go about asking a girl like that to prom,” he asked me.

            “I don’t know. You just ask I guess,” I said feeling uncomfortable.

            “You haven’t asked Hannah yet have you,” he asked me.

            “No. I don’t know how. I feel like it should be special but I don’t know how to go about it,” I told him.