Chapter 25

"California"

Hannah’s POV:

            We had been on the road for four days. We had stopped in almost every town to look around. We finally made it to LA a few minutes ago and we were headed to the hotel that was putting up all of the fighters. I could tell that Dylan was becoming more nervous by the way that he was fidgeting in his seat. He couldn’t seem to sit still.

            “Are you ready,” I asked him as I put my hand on his knee.

            “Yeah. I’m ready to see who my competition is going to be,” he said as he rolled his shoulders.

            “These are the best of the best,” Wes pointed out.

            “That means I’ll get the most honest fight. I’ll know if I’m really good or if I’m just Georgia good,” Dylan replied.

            “You are good,” I told him.

            “I know. I just don’t know if I’m good enough,” he said with a frown as he stared out the window. It seemed like the closer we got the more he started to doubt himself.

            I hated seeing him this way. He was always so confident. So sure of himself. I never thought he would have confidence issues. To be honest I don’t think he thought he would have confidence issues. I think that he was feeling this way because this money was so important for his mother.

            I knew he was feeling extremely guilty for leaving his mother. For a very long time they took care of each other. I think he was nervous about leaving her by herself. But he knew he couldn’t stay with her forever. Eventually we have to grow up and we have to lead our own lives. It was just the way of the world.

            “What are you thinking about so hard over there,” Dylan asked me as he interlocked our fingers.

            “Nothing,” I told him with a smile.

            “Are you sure,” he asked looking slightly worried.

            “I’m sure. It’s nothing important,” I told him. I didn’t want to talk to him about serious stuff before the competition. I wanted his mind to be completely focused on winning.

            “If you say so,” he said as he turned his full attention back to the road. We were very close to the hotel now.

            We planned on checking in and then just hanging out for the rest of the day. I knew that Dylan wanted to go check out the competition but I knew that would only make him more nervous. I really thought that making sure he was relaxed and his mind was clear would be the best thing and I was going to do my best to make sure that’s what happened.

            “We’re coming up on the hotel,” Dylan said as he turned in a drive-way.

            The place was huge. To be honest it looked like a castle instead of a hotel. There was a huge sign out front showing that the amateur UFC fighting competition had their fighters staying there. I could see a bunch of men walking around and standing by the cars.

            Dylan parked in an available space and then he just turned to stare at me. I could see all of his nerves and doubts in his eyes. I knew that I needed to talk to him. I had never seen him seriously nervous before a fight. He always seemed so calm and confident. I knew that he was so nervous because this was important to him.