IV

Astrid Njall

Astrid Njall

The next morning, Brenna went off to the high mountains to hunt. Astrid ran after her wearing Björn's bear pelt.

She was giggling wildly as Brenna was trying to scout for the day's kill.

"Björn is amazing in bed. He treats me like his queen. He's so big! I had no idea they got that big! It was exhilarating and exhausting!" Astrid gushed.

"Astrid, I love you, but I have no interest in your sex life with Björn."

"You're right. I'm sorry. I just had to tell someone."

"Shh...I see a deer." Brenna whispers.

Astrid and Brenna crouch behind a large boulder and she grabs an arrow. She sets the arrow on the string and cocks it back and takes her aim.

She takes in a breath and releases it, simultaneously releasing the arrow. The arrow sails through the air and hits the deer right in the heart.

Brenna grins as she stands to retrieve her kill. She binds the legs of the deer with rope and drags it through the green grass.

Meanwhile, Astrid is still chattering away about how amazing and handsome Björn is. Brenna is happy for her, she just has no interest in their personal lives. Things like this should be kept secret between the two lovers.

When they get back to the village, Brenna brings her kill into the large tent and gives it to the cooks. They thank her for the kill and she moves to the entryway.

Seconds later, Colborn comes in with two baskets of fish and six rabbits.

He notices her catch and scoffs.

"When are you going to learn that the men hunt and women stay home with the children?" He growls.

"When are you going to learn how to be respectful?"

His large hand grabs Brenna's arm roughly.

"You should learn your place." He says in a deadly tone.

Brenna stands taller and yanks her arm out of his grasp.

She points her finger at his chest.

"I told you next time your hand touches me it will be cut off."

Brenna grips the handle of her sword and slashes his palm. He howls in pain and his other fist collides with her jaw.