XXIII

The sun was high in the sky, signalling it was noon. Everyone in the village gathered in the center. Björn kneeled in the stocks.

"This man is to be punished with thirty lashes. He has struck one of our generous warriors. May this be an example to misbehavior to you all." The Jarl said.

Floki handed the whip to Colborn. Children cried and hid behind their mother's legs.

Colborn grinned with malice as one of the Northmen tore Björn's tunic off.

Brenna looked up at the sunny sky and prayed to the gods to save Björn's soul.

Colborn reeled the whip back and cracked it with all his might. Björn cried out as the sharp barbs at the end of the whip tore his skin.

The sound was sickening. Each time the whip collided with his back she winced.

"You will count, traitor! Lest I have to start all over!" Colborn yelled.

"Five!" Björn yelled out as he took another lashing.

Brenna shed tears for him. She stole a glance at Astrid who was huddled against Brinhild. Astrid could not bear to watch as she buried her face in her dress.

This continued until the thirty lashes were done. Brenna ran forward to help, but Colborn held her back.

His blue eyes had turned a cold grey. The guards unlocked and yanked Björn from the stocks.

Then he was dragged across the ground. They lay him there in the middle of the field.

A trail of blood followed to where he lay in agony.

Astrid ran to him and so did some of the other women.

They rushed him into a hut to nurse his wounds.

Brenna could still hear his screams as they disinfected it with ale. She yearned to help, but Colborn would not let her go.

She wept that day. She wept until she could no longer cry any tears.

Colborn had dragged her everywhere with him.

As of now he was in a meeting with the Jarl and the village's new allies in the long house.

Brenna was prohibited to go inside. She sat outside with her back pressed against the wall.

Her ears perked up when she heard the mention of the summer voyage.

"After Brenna and I wed, we should leave to scout new lands at the summer solstice." Colborn said.

An idea came to her mind. When the men left for the voyage, it would be the perfect time to take their village back.

They would have casualties, sure. But it gave Brenna hope.

Colborn strode from the meeting room. He clicked his tongue at Brenna as if she was a horse.

She stood and followed him.

Later that evening she had to go to the bath house with all the females. Now she would be christened before her wedding.

She walked sadly to the bath house. When she entered, the women looked up at her with grief in their eyes.

"I am so sorry to you all. I have let you all down. I-"

"Hush child!" An older woman said.

"We do not blame you for the events that have come to be. You could have done nothing. You are who we aspire to be, Brenna." Brinhild said.

Brenna choked on her own tears as the women came in for a group hug.

Astrid sat herself beside Brenna as she undressed. The other women began pouring scented oils into the tub for fragrance.

Brenna slipped into the burning water and hissed.

She lay there for a while while the women washed her.

Then she told the women of her plan. She made them swear to secrecy as only the women of the village should know. When the men left, they would travel to the East and hopefully gain the help of the people there.

"What of the children?" Astrid asked.

"We shall take them with us." Brenna answered.

"That would not be wise. The trek is too far. We would not have enough supplies. What if the men come back and find us gone?" Brinhild said.

"It is the only chance we have. No one is going to save us. It is up to us to save ourselves."

"Then, it is a risk we must take! We are strong Viking women! We can do this!" The older woman said.

"Ja!" The women said in unison.

After her first bath, she had to get into a second bath filled with cold water from the mountains.

Brenna bit her lip as she stepped into the second bath.

After a few minutes had passed, she was permitted to get out. Astrid wrapped her in a linen cloth to dry off.

She put on a clean shift and was walked to her hut. On this night she slept in her own hut. It was tradition before the wedding. Especially after she had been chastised.

Brenna nuzzled under the warm furs and tried to fall asleep. Nervousness overcame her as she could not sleep for the day to come.

Tommorow she would be wed to the most brutal man on Earth. She could not get his face out of her mind as he enjoyed torturing others.

He was sick and twisted, just like his father.

Brenna finally slipped into unconsciousness and let the darkness consume her.