XX

Brenna looked down at the ground as tears fell from her eyes. She had just decided Torsten had won her heart.

He bravely attacked Torsten to defend her honor, yet now she could not honor her promise.

"I will marry you, Colborn. Please, spare my people from this. I will do as you ask." She said in a soft, defeated tone.

She could not meet his gaze. She was too ashamed. It was unlike her to back down.

Colborn lifted her head up by her chin, forcing her to meet his gaze.

All people stood silent.

While everyone was distracted, Floki stabbed his sword through his brother's back.

The gasps were all that was heard as the Jarl fell.

"I now declare myself Jarl! Ye shall bow down to me, lest they wish to die a slow, painful death!" Floki roared.

Asmund surged forward as he drew his sword. Floki was too quick for the aging man. He plunged the sword through Asmund's abdomen.

A gut wrenching gurgle was heard as her father fell.

"Father!" She cried as she ran to him.

She cradled his head in her hands. His blood spilling to the ground in a puddle around them.

"No, father! Do not leave me!" She cried out as the blood would not stop flowing.

Asmund grunted and cupped her face in his blood covered hand.

He tried to speak, but only a strangled wheezing sound came.

"Shh...be still father." She whispered.

Asmund closed his eyes as the thick blanket of death enveloped him.

The people gasped and stood in shock.

"Anyone else dare challenge me?" Floki snarled.

Everyone remained silent. Torsten was still unconscious, lying nearby.

His face was turning black and blue. It was barely recognizable from the swelling.

The sound of hooves beating the frozen earth sounded from far away. Gradually, it grew closer.

The men from the north mountains had come to join forces. Their horses strode ever closer as the people of the village huddled together.

Men pushed their wives and children behind them. Babe's cried as the cloudy sky began to weep.

The sky cried for the fallen soldiers on the field. A thick sheet of rain enveloped the village. The water mixed with the dirt stained blood red.

Brenna knew the metallic scent would never leave her memory.

Torsten groaned and sat up.

Colborn growled and picked him up by the front of his tunic.

"Colborn! You promised! Please!" Brenna gripped his large bicep in her small hands.

Colborn flicked his gaze to his bride.

"Hmfh!" He grunted.

He dropped Torsten to the ground.

"You are hereby banished from this land. You may take a boat and leave." Colborn seethed as he walked away from him.

Women began moving their children to their huts. The men followed their wives and barricaded their doors.

"Nei!" Torsten yelled.

Colborn stopped and turned, looking upon the man he had almost killed.

"My bride has asked that I spare your life. Leave now or I will have your entrails ripped out and fed to the crows!"

Brenna ran to Torsten.

"Please, go. I cannot bare to see any more bloodshed on account of me." Brenna pleaded.

Torsten gripped her waist and smashed his lips to hers one last time.

She placed her hands on his cheeks and kissed him with all the fire she had left.

The feeling was short-lived as she was yanked backwards out of Torsten's protective grasp.

Brenna cried out as her arm was painfully pulled back.

Colborn stood chest to chest with Torsten and growled at him. He was a feral animal in Brenna's eyes.

Torsten took a step back in defeat. He had never backed down from a fight before.

However, he did this only for his elska. He could not put her through the pain of losing him. She had lost too much already.

He walked towards the shore at the very end base of the mountain.

When Colborn turned his back, he walked West towards the woods. He shall live in the mountains until he could recover and come back for his elska. He had no intention of leaving without a fight. But, he would need an army. And a very strong one at that.