XXI

Brenna wept as Colborn pulled her protectively against his body. She swallowed back the vomit in her throat as the sky turned black.

Night was upon them. The people went to the tent for dinner. The village people remained quiet as they ate in silence.

Floki sat in his brother's throne and his coal black eyes gazed maliciously at his people. He would soon be the leader of Norway. Even the mountains would bow to him.

Lightning cut through the night like a blade. Thunder followed it's brother with an angry rumble.

Brenna jumped in her seat. Colborn chuckled at her behavior. He picked her up by her waist and placed her on his lap.

Brenna could not breath while his meaty hands were on her. She sat there in silence, unable to eat.

"You must eat. You need to bear me strong sons." Colborn said.

Brenna stiffened as he held a scrap of meat to her lips. She opened her mouth as he fed her. She chewed slowly ignoring the protests of her queasy stomach.

She had not wished to anger him in any way. She had seen what he had done to Torsten. And Torsten was exactly the same height and build. Thor only knows what he would do to her. She is not even half his size.

Brenna's gaze fell on Astrid sitting a few feet away. Her scared eyes met Brenna's as they shared the same fear.

Björn's hand rested protectively on Astrid's swollen belly as if someone would take his family away.

It was highly possible under this new leader. And Brenna thought the last one was bad.

Brenna had finished her meal and was about to head for her hut, when Colborn gripped her hips. She winced at his iron grip.

"Where do you think you are going, elska?" He hissed in her ear.

"I-I am exhausted. I wish to go to my hut and sleep." She said nervously.

"You go to our hut when I say you can." His voice dripped with malice.

Brenna could no longer ignore the feeling in her gut.

"I am going to be sick." She said.

Colborn huffed and released her.

She ran outside the tent and heaved the contents of her stomach on to the ground.

"Ye shall not be pregnant with that bastards babe." Colborn snarled.

"I am not pregnant! I am but a maiden! I just have some illness!" She hissed.

Colborn smacked her hard across the face. Brenna cried out as she fell to the ground.

"Ye shalt not raise her voice to me!" He bellowed.

Brenna's body shook from his unpleasant demeanor.

Colborn grinned in sickly satisfaction to his bride. He loved to see fear in her eyes.

He pulled her up by her hair and a scream left her throat.

Colborn turned her around and shoved her forward. She nearly fell to the ground.

"Go to my hut. I will be there shortly. If ye not be there, ye will be punished." He growled.

Brenna practically ran to Colborn's hut.

She slammed the door and huddled in the corner. She hugged her knees to her chest and wept.

Sobs jerked her body as she began breathing heavily. She could only imagine what Colborn would do to her.

Most likely steal her maidenhood. And not in a way that brought pleasure to her.

Colborn waltzed back into the tent and stood beside his father.

"I am leaving to be with my bride." Colborn announced.

"Do not take her maidenhood, lest she shall not go to Valhalla with the gods."

Colborn sighed and nodded his head in submission.

"Fret not my son. Ye shall be married in three moon's time. The preparations for the wedding are being made as we speak. It will be a grand occasion."

"Yes, father."

Colborn left the tent and strode towards his hut. He threw open the door and startled Brenna.

She yelped from her spot in the corner.

He grinned at her fear.

"Take your dress off." He demanded.

Brenna shook her head.

Colborn yanked her up by the strings of her dress. The lacing fell open and the blood stained crimson dress fell to the floor.

Brenna was now covered only in her blood spattered shift. She hugged her arms around her frail body as she shook beneath his scrutinizing gaze.

"You smell like a pig. Go to the bath house and bathe." He said.

Brenna ran from the hut, desperate to get away from him. She ran to the tent and ignored the men gazing at her nearly naked presence.

"Astrid, please come to the bath house with me." She choked out.

Astrid started to get up, but Björn held her back.

"Nei, I am not taking my eyes off you." Björn said to his wife.

"My friend needs me. I have my dagger. Do not worry, husband."

Astrid kissed his cheek and took her friend's hand.

The two raced to the bath house together. Once inside, Brenna shut the door.

Astrid began lighting a fire to warm the wooden tub like always.

"Astrid, I am so scared. I would rather die than be his wife." Brenna covered her mouth as she sobbed.

"It will be alright. You are strong. Besides, the Jarl announced that your wedding is not for three moons."

"That is so little time! What am I going to do?"

"Come now, the bath is almost ready. Do not think of that now. Just think of relaxing in a nice hot bath."

Brenna took her shift off and sunk into the nearly boiling water. The water burned her skin, but soothed her aching back.

Astrid gently scrubbed Brenna with lye soap and washed her tangled hair for her.

She put oils through her hair to detangle it and make it shine.

Once Brenna was done, she realized she had no clothes. Astrid wrapped her friend in a linen sheet and walked to the shelf on the wall.

She picked up a clean shift and handed it to Brenna. Once Brenna was dry, she pulled on the shift.

Astrid gave Brenna her cloak for more modesty as she walked through the halls.

Astrid walked back to the tent whilst, Brenna walked to her new hut.